Duplicate File Removal

Question

•  

I've been running WHS on a Dell E-6100 with two 750GB Seagate drives and a 160GB main drive with no issues at all for about 6 weeks.  My network has three desktops and two laptops that connect and backup about once a week (kids at college), most of these are XP and one is Vista Premium.  I've been careful to follow the recommendations to avoid the corruption bug (set folders to read-only, don't access files with applications just with Explorer, etc.)  I have actually had to use the restore function to recover an earlier version and it worked perfectly, and so far I'm very favorably impressed with WHS!

However, I now have some VERY large shares with the combined music and photo files from the five computers listed above and I'd like to clean-out duplicates, of which I'm sure there are many.  I would like to use AcuteFinder on the server itself and want to make sure I access the drives correctly to avoid crashing the file manager system used on WHS (I've used AcuteFinder for a while and find that it works great on the individual PC's I have, and it can handle networked (mapped) drives).

Is it OK at this time to map each share to a drive letter using //localhost/<sharename>/ and then run AcuteFinder, on the server itself, on multiple shares to find and delete duplicates?  AcuteFinder generally does not open the files, but it may do so if, for example, you ask it to view an image file to determine if two or more files are actual duplicates, same with a music file.  Of course, AcuteFinder deletes files when you ask it to eliminate duplicates.

OR...is this kind of activity prone to the data corruption bug, and it would be safer for me to wait for the upcoming fix in PowerPack 1?  I know that I could run AcuteFinder from one of the client computers, but it runs quite a bit more slowly over the network and I have a LOT of files to inspect!

Thanks for a very impressive product and for a great forum for information!

Richard

Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

• Richard,

It is distinctly possible that using it in any way could trigger the corruption if, as you say, the program has to open a file. The option apart from waiting for PP1, would be to move all the files off the server to a local drive, delete duplicates there, then move the balance back to the server. Could be time consuming, but is guaranteed to be safe. FYI, I have two servers running and now about 20 customers all with WHS setups, and none of them have experienced the bug - yet!

This is assuming you are talking about duplicate files with a particular shared folder, not the duplication itself of shared folders.

Colin

FYI, just found this  quote:

DupeCleaner v0.0.0.1 Beta

written by Brent on Friday, April 25 2008

DupeCleaner scans your shares for duplicates and then displays the duplicate files. Then you can choose the files to clean.

Worth a try
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:28 PM

All replies

• Richard,

It is distinctly possible that using it in any way could trigger the corruption if, as you say, the program has to open a file. The option apart from waiting for PP1, would be to move all the files off the server to a local drive, delete duplicates there, then move the balance back to the server. Could be time consuming, but is guaranteed to be safe. FYI, I have two servers running and now about 20 customers all with WHS setups, and none of them have experienced the bug - yet!

This is assuming you are talking about duplicate files with a particular shared folder, not the duplication itself of shared folders.

Colin

FYI, just found this  quote:

DupeCleaner v0.0.0.1 Beta

written by Brent on Friday, April 25 2008

DupeCleaner scans your shares for duplicates and then displays the duplicate files. Then you can choose the files to clean.

Worth a try
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for your input!  I've done a few experiments and have not encountered any corruption running the duplicate removal tool directly on the shares.  However, just to stay on the safe side I've been moving folders to a local machine to eliminate duplicates, then copying them back to the server, as suggested.  There's nothing urgent that can't wait for the fix in PP1 anyway.  Thanks again!

Monday, May 05, 2008 3:01 PM
  •   Randelf, thanks for the sharing the soft. I hope this AcuteFinder realy effective 'cause my previous programs of this kind didn't help much in some cases. Many mp3's remained duplicated. Now I use another one to find duplicate mp3 and it seems to work fine though I keep searching and looking...
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Hi Michael
    I use a free tool from MindGems  - Find Duplicate Files Free that was recently featured on LifeHacker and for audio comparision they have just released this great too: Audio Dedupe - Duplicate MP3 Finder - as stated it compares audio content rather than just ID3 tags. I am really impressed by the speed of the tool. It compares thousands of songs in just several minutes. Give it a try. 
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:58 PM
  • It is an interesting message. I have a question. Now I use Clone Remover to find images and music files duplicates (http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/234) What are the differences in these two programmes and how can I use the one from this article? Thank you.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:00 PM

• So far the Duplicate Finder 2009 has worked great for me! It has been a terrific assistance for me in delete duplicate images and songs from my hard drives - saving me loads of time.

Get it here: http://www.duplicate-finder-pro.com

Monday, July 06, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Here is a tool to find and remove duplicates with an accuracy in a minute, Duplicate finder helped me to find and delete duplicate files and folders from the pc, it has a great features like instant preview that allow you to select tha file before deleting them or move.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 11:30 AM