Install freezes RRS feed

• Question

• First off, I have read several hundred posts here, read the FAQ, and read the install documents .

Home-built Pentium-based system with onboard RAID (disabled in BIOS) and an IDE drive (removed all SATA drives from the system).

Burned the DVD at 1x and the checksum is ok.

The software installs, gets past "installing the software" and gets to a point that says "rebooting the OS" (I believe it said OS - it wnet by pretty quickly).

At this point the screen turns into a Vista-looking wallpaper - no text or anything else on the screen.  And it just stays there - seemingly forever (it stayed like that for 16 hours, so I assume it's not going to change).  At this point the PC has never rebooted since install started.  Taking the DVD out and booting brings up a BIOS error "no boot device".

I did re-download and re-burn another DVD - tried the install again, same issue.

So before I go formatting more drives or anything, does anyone have a clue why the install might be getting stuck at this point?

Thanks,

Rob

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:41 PM

Answers

• I would try new RAM, but looking at your log file it seems like its some sort of DVD/Media error still...
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:05 PM
  • OK, I am up and running.  Used Sony DVD media, but not sure that was the cause.  I also swapped the DVD and HD making the DVD the Master and the HD the Slave drives.

Restarted the install from scratch and it finished with only minor errors (graphics driver) that have since been corrected.

First machine is being backed up now.  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Rob

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:48 PM

All replies

• Update:  Third try.  This time when the screen froze I power-cycled the PC and it rebooted and started to install Windows Server 2003 for SB.  So maybe it's going to work this time.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:56 PM
  • If you have an extra dvd drive lying around you might want to put that one in the server and try installing. Some users have been reporting install failures that track back to a dvd drive not behaving as expected.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:28 PM
  • If changing the DVD drive does not work, do you have any different RAM you can try?
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:45 PM
  • I now have a functioning copy of Windows 2003 server. But the WHS install failed.  I'll try again with new RAM (already tried two different DVD drives).  

The log file shows the following:

[3/10/2007 7:41:59 AM  b88] Trying to load c:\install\winntbbu.dll
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Installer initialized with parameters -continue
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Current product version 6.0.1301.0
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Setup has [re]started at mode 0 stage 1 step 0
    [TRACE] Looking for template x:\WHS
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\WHS, error 2
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Found file D:\WHS
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Found WHS on drive D
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\WHS
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\DOCS
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\SVR_2003
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\redistr
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\redistr
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\SVR_2003\I386\pidgen.dll
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\DOCS\eula.txt
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\SVR_2003\i386\winntbbu.dll
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\files\install
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path D:\WHS\Restore
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Found system on drive C
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\install
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\q_setup.log
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\install\qs.ini
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\install\winntbbu.dll
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\install\q-1024x768_24bit.bmp
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\install\winnt.sif
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Fixing up path C:\install\dcpromo.ini
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Install step is set to 5
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Install step is set to 5
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] First boot in Windows
     Windows Home Server setup will now configure networking and
    convert system drive to dynamic.

[3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] CD Autorun OFF
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Current BitsPerPixel 32.
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Current PelsWidth 1024.
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Current PelsHeight 768.
    [3/10/2007 7:42:04 AM  cd8] Screen resolution changed to 1024 x 768 x 32.
    [3/10/2007 7:42:07 AM  cd8] Advancing to stage 1 step 1
    [3/10/2007 7:42:07 AM  cd8] Install step is set to 5
    [3/10/2007 7:42:07 AM  cd8] Mounting the cdrom
    [3/10/2007 7:42:08 AM  cd8] ERROR: Could not load VDS (0x8007041f)
    [TRACE] InitializeVDS : Exited (0x8007041f)
    [3/10/2007 7:42:08 AM  cd8] Connecting to VDS failed. Error 0x8007041f.
    [3/10/2007 7:42:08 AM  cd8] MessageBox: Connecting to VDS failed: The service database is locked.

(error code 0x8007041f).
    [TRACE] Step_MountWHS : Exited (0x8007041f)
    [3/10/2007 7:43:13 AM  cd8] Mounting the cdrom failed. Error 0x8007041f.
    [3/10/2007 7:43:13 AM  cd8] MessageBox: Mounting the cdrom failed: The service database is locked.

(error code 0x8007041f).
    [3/10/2007 7:43:41 AM  cd8] Windows Home Server setup failed. The error code is 0x8007041f. Please correct the problem and reboot to restart the setup program.
    [3/10/2007 7:43:41 AM  cd8] MessageBox: Windows Home Server installation failed. Do you want to display the installation log file?
    [3/10/2007 7:43:44 AM  cd8] Spawning process [notepad.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\q_setup.log]

Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:59 PM
  • I would try new RAM, but looking at your log file it seems like its some sort of DVD/Media error still...
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Steve - I agree - it looks like a media problem, but at this point (when the log file was generated) Windows Server was up and running in the background of the Install Program.  I could alt-tab and hit my start menu.  Opened explorer and it had mounted the DVD and I could open documents from the drive.

Both of the DVD drives I tried were Sony DRU 510A's.  I'll head out and buy a newer drive today and try again...

Thanks,

Rob

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:10 PM
  • Have you tried any different DVD-+R media?
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Good point - no.  All the DVDs I burned were from the same batch - Dynex.  I do have some Sony media.  I'll try it.

But I've since rebooted the server again and it's still installing something - so I'll wait until it gets finished and see if I end up with anything functional!

Rob

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:21 PM
  • It looks like WHS is trying to install on D:, and I think it has to be installed on the first BIOS drive, C:

Paul

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:50 PM
  • There is one hard drive - drive C.  Drive D is the DVD.  Everything server-wise seems to have installed (Windows 2003 boots and runs fine off the C: drive).  Only the WHS software appears to be failing it's install.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:05 PM
  • This might sound crazy but, instead of buying a new DVD drive, have you tried taking the drive apart and cleaning the lense with rubbing alchoal? Not sure if you would be up for it :o)...
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Heh - I live three blocks from a Best Buy - getting a new drive is easier .  Besides, I've had these drives quite some time (years) so it's a good excuse to upgrade!
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:39 PM
  • OK, I am up and running.  Used Sony DVD media, but not sure that was the cause.  I also swapped the DVD and HD making the DVD the Master and the HD the Slave drives.

Restarted the install from scratch and it finished with only minor errors (graphics driver) that have since been corrected.

First machine is being backed up now.  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Rob

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Cool! Glad to hear you got it running! I hope you enjoy WHS as much as I am!!
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:41 PM
  • Steve - I'm working on a blog post.  What do you enjoy so much about WHS?  Personally, even excluding the install issues, I don't get it.  I don't see the value of installing a HUGE over-bloated OS (to include desktop wallpapers, etc) just to give me some shared drives and an HTML front end to manage them.  Sure, there is the automated backup, but that can be done with Windows Backup and Scheduler.

DSon't get me wrong - I haven't made my mind up yet - just not quite getting it here.  I would love to hear why people like this product.  What value it offers them.  What they think it offers them that they couldn't get with just a stand alone Windows box dedicated to sharing drives and storing backup?

I really would appreciate your opinion.

Rob

Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:30 AM
  • The Server 2003 RTM version does take up a lot of space as it pretty much creates a copy of itself in the c:\WINDOWS\dllcache folder and in another folder that I think is in system32 for Windows File Protection (WFP from this point on) to work. Removing the dllcache folder will free up quite a lot of space, however because it plays such a critical role I don't recommend removing it as you could effectively render your server unable to protect itself in the event system files are replaced by unrecognized versions. Server 2003 was designed to be a secure and a very stable platform, so the loss of space to backup copies of files is not so much of a big loss if you value stability over available space. You can remove the directory if you plan to keep the OS DVD in the drive though as if the dllcache directory is unavailable or the content of the dllcache directory has been compromised, WFP will ask you to insert the disc should it not be present in the drive.

All this said, the OS is in beta, and space could be being used now that may well be freed up in the RC and RTM versions (I counted 8 restarts during installation, surely this is going to go down as the OS comes closer to RC and RTM, right?). There's quite a few Server 2003 features here that I'm guessing will be removed from the RC and RTM versions. WHS is meant to be very easy for the home user to use. Home users shouldn't need to be worrying about Licensing (in Control Panel) or Network Load Balancing Manager (in Administrative Tools) so I imagine a lot will be removed for ease of use.

I'm enjoying using WHS at the moment. Tried out the remote backup restoration earlier on a Dell GX150 I use for testing on, and it worked a treat. I did notice that the restoration CD lacked support for my Dell's network card (3com 3c920) and I had to grab a copy from Dell's site and place it in the root of my key drive for it to pick the drivers up. This was the only real problem I had. The restore took 10 minutes and I had a working box again. I'm thoroughly impressed. Might consider selling my Symantec Ghost software when I get my hands on an RTM license. I haven't run into a problem with WHS as of yet, and it has proved to be very stable, however, the one problem I do have is that if I want to add drives to the system that have data already on them, I have to leave them as uninitialized, or move everything over before initializing it. Home users that buy WHS and want to use it to replace an OS they're running on a home server are going to be turned off at the fact that all their drives which contain all their data will be destroyed by the setup process. If they remove the drives before firing up again to install, upon completing setup, the drives have to remain uninitialized as to initialize them, requires wiping and reformatting the drives as dynamic, another turn off for those who already run servers in the home. There could do with being an option to initialize the drive for use by the server without wiping everything. Whether this is possible or not, I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Apart from this, WHS is proving it is able to bring the sheer reliability and security businesses demand from Server 2003 into the home.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:14 AM
  • PinkFloydYoshi - first, thanks for your comments.  Second, I love Pink Floyd, and my dog is named Yoshi !

I know this is beta - but on Beta Two I really doubt there are drastic changes in mind for reducing the footprint size.  I imagine the release (if my past 20 years experience with MS Beta products) will look pretty darned close to what we are looking at now.  Sans the install bugs .

Again - I don't have a huge issue with the size the OS takes up.  I think it's a HUGE aggregate waste of install time and bandwidth (multiple number of users X install times X disk cost) for little gain (as you say - MANY of the Windows 2003 services are NOT needed for this product.  Actually, I think MS could use a program like WinPE and dramatically reduce the footprint.  Regardless of if they do it or not, I am sure SOMEONE will.

I think this tool would be much better served by a "built for this application" version of Windows Server.  And it would be "safer" for MS since it would remove all the utilities (and abilities) to run something on the server that Fubar's the WHS software.

I'm really interested in seeing how the restore goes.  I still haven't completed my first backup.  (Am I right in assuming that only one backup can take place at a time?)

Thanks again for your response!

Rob

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:52 AM
  •  kr8tr wrote:

Steve - I'm working on a blog post. What do you enjoy so much about WHS? Personally, even excluding the install issues, I don't get it. I don't see the value of installing a HUGE over-bloated OS (to include desktop wallpapers, etc) just to give me some shared drives and an HTML front end to manage them. Sure, there is the automated backup, but that can be done with Windows Backup and Scheduler.

DSon't get me wrong - I haven't made my mind up yet - just not quite getting it here. I would love to hear why people like this product. What value it offers them. What they think it offers them that they couldn't get with just a stand alone Windows box dedicated to sharing drives and storing backup?

I really would appreciate your opinion.

Rob

kr8tr,  The whole point of WHS is for "Mom and Dad" and for the "Excel jockey", in other words, people who know nay about computers and just use them as tools or "appliances" for work or entertainment.  The WHS solution is an interesting one for what it offers. Sure, guyz like us can build servers & configure them but I bet your Granny can't.  Unless she's a computer geek or IT pro ! So she'll appreciate a home server appliance that makes her feel more secure and takes care of some  nitty-gritty computer tasks she has no idea how to configure.

Jay
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:55 AM
  • Jay - that's kind of the argument I am making with my post (so far) - but I also argue that this experience isn't one my "grandma" could manage.  It's complex.  At least installing it is.

I'm not convinced that adding this product to my grannies "I gotta support it" list of items is goinf to make my life (or hers) and easier.  Please share specifically how this product will simplifiy your life - what are the advantages.  And what DON'T you like about it?  I really want to get "the big picture" here.  Right now I only have my little slice of it.

Thanks much,

Rob

Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:20 AM
  •  kr8tr wrote:
    Jay - that's kind of the argument I am making with my post (so far) - but I also argue that this experience isn't one my "grandma" could manage. It's complex. At least installing it is.

I'm not convinced that adding this product to my grannies "I gotta support it" list of items is goinf to make my life (or hers) and easier. Please share specifically how this product will simplifiy your life - what are the advantages. And what DON'T you like about it? I really want to get "the big picture" here. Right now I only have my little slice of it.

Your granny won't install WHS. She'll go down to Best Buy and pick up an HP MediaSmart Server (or any of a number of other designs, that's just the one that's easiest to find online), which will have WHS already installed and configured. That's likely to be the primary distribution channel for WHS.

That's if she buys it at all. Remember, WHS is targeted at homes with multiple PCs and a permanent broadband connection to the Internet. How many computers does granny own? If the answer is one, you can hook her up with any of a number of external USB drives that can be set up to automatically back her computer up every night, usually with just a few clicks.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:00 PM