Restore back up to new computer? RRS feed

• Question

• My computer died, I do have my LiveOne backup before it died. I am getting a new computer. Will I be able to restore my backup to my new computer after I install ALL my programs? Is there a step by step way I should do this process or is there anything I need to be careful will? Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

PS. Old computer had XP, new will have VISTA will that pose a problem.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:53 PM

Answers

• You will be able to restore your One Care backups to the new computer. This Microsoft Knowledge Base article provides a pretty good guide to restoring files using One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171/en-us

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Sure, that will work. One thing to be aware of is restoring e-mail. If you will be using Windows Mail or Outlook, restore your e-mail files from the One Care backups to a folder on your desktop, then use the import function in your e-mail client to restore your e-mails and folders.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• You will be able to restore your One Care backups to the new computer. This Microsoft Knowledge Base article provides a pretty good guide to restoring files using One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171/en-us

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:21 PM
  •  

Thank you for the info. When I get my new computer I will install LiveOne the restore the files... after I have put in all the programs. Is that correct?
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Sure, that will work. One thing to be aware of is restoring e-mail. If you will be using Windows Mail or Outlook, restore your e-mail files from the One Care backups to a folder on your desktop, then use the import function in your e-mail client to restore your e-mails and folders.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Thank you. I think I understand what you are saying about email. I use Outlook, if I have problems or do not understand .... I know where to turn to.. here. Thanks again.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:08 PM