Can't use CRM 2013 Action Picklist Argument to set OptionSet value for target entity in CRM Action RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am testing out the new CRM 2013 Actions capability. I have defined an input argument of type Picklist so I can set the Contact Method value of a Contact, which is an OptionSet attribute. I have created the argument but when I use the CRM Action designer to update the Contact entity and click the "Preferred Method of Contact" attribute, select Arguments as the source, the list of values is empty.

I think the issue is related to the fact when creating a Custom Workflow Assembly with an Input argument of type OptionSet, you have to add the AttributeTarget metadata to specify which attribute the argument is referring to so CRM can validate it. But in the CRM Action GUI (very similar to the Workflow GUI), there is no way to specify the target attribute of the Picklist field, so this metadata is not added. Consequently when you click the "Update Entity" step Set Properties, the standard set field value dialog does not think there is a suitable argument to use.

I have found that if I specify the argument as Output rather than Input then I am able to assign to it any of the target entity's OptionSet attributes.

So my conclusion is that at present there is a limitationfeature/bug in that Picklist input arguments cannot be used, even in a CWA since the CWA will have the AttributeTarget metadata as well and CRM won't find a matching input argument.

I have checked the documentation and this limitation is not specify anywhere & basically means it is impossible to update an OptionSet field via a CRM Action.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:19 AM

All replies

• Did you find a solution to this? I think, that this is still present in 2015.
    Friday, October 23, 2015 6:53 AM
  • still apparent in 2016. Was there a workaround to this? I was thinking of using a custom workflow assembly to convert it into a useable optionset value.

Pete

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:15 PM
  • I'm facing the same issue on 2016 online...
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:18 PM
  • Yes, Still in dynamics 365. Action pick list not supported with option set data type.

Hope this helps. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Santosh Bhagat If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Friday, March 10, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Still present in D365 On-Premise 8.1.0.359. And Google results show that many other people have same problem with Action arguments of type picklist. Wondering how many decades it will take for a dilettante bug like this to be fixed....

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:07 PM