Usenet downloads - grabit style? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any 3rd party solution that enables using the WHS as a download app for usenet downloads?

On my PC I currently use GrabIt which works great. But it would be even more cool if I could transfer the usenet downloads to WHS simply by adding *.nzb files to a specified directory and then have the GrabIt client on WHS download the posts to a specified location.

- Chr
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:07 PM

Answers

• There's nothing I'm aware of.

You might be able to install GrabIt on your server; I would recommend adding a disk (external should be fine; you're not going to hit any disk I/O limits downloading from a news server) that's not in the storage pool, as your download target disk. Then you'd have to move the downloaded content into shares on your server, if that's where you want it to end up. Be careful if you decide to install GrabIt; Windows Home Server isn't a desktop operating system, and the installation, removal, and updating of desktop apps (like GrabIt) is a major reason Windows PCs can become unstable after a while. Installing one or two carefully chosen apps isn't likely to be a problem; installing every darn thing that comes along very possibly is.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:57 PM
  • I have been using Ninan since WHS came out.

It is a web server based application (java) and can be made to run as a service using the Java service wrapper.  For instructions see the following page.

Install Ninan as a windows service

I agree with Ken that this should all be done on a disk that has not been added to the storage pool.  With Ninan you can use a batch file that runs after the download is complete to move the post files to your shared folder.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 6:00 PM
  • On my WHS I've been running SABnzbd to do exactly this. NZBs are stored to a share on the server.

SABnzbd (runs as a service) picks them up and starts the download (or schedules it if you don't want to download

at certain times). It stores the downloads to a (non-WHS managed) folder and when they are complete, it pars, unrars etc. and puts the result on a WHS share.

Administration is via a web UI so you don't need to remote desktop to WHS all the time...

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:12 PM
  • In case you decide to go for sabnzbd, here's a tip (cost me some time to sort this out). Initially the web admin did not work, the webpage could not be found. I read in the sabnzbd forum this is caused by using localhost iso the real ip address in the configuration. However, changing it did not help. It turns out you need to pass this as a parameter when starting up the service: sabnzbd -s www.xxx.yyy.zzzStick out tongueort. I'm using rc3, recently rc4 was released which might have fixed this. After I started the service like this, I can just check the queue etc. from other pcs on the network.

Also, don't forget to have sabnzb store downloads-in-progress to a drive or folder that is not managed by WHS to avoid possible issues with the data corruption bug.

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:52 PM

All replies

• There's nothing I'm aware of.

You might be able to install GrabIt on your server; I would recommend adding a disk (external should be fine; you're not going to hit any disk I/O limits downloading from a news server) that's not in the storage pool, as your download target disk. Then you'd have to move the downloaded content into shares on your server, if that's where you want it to end up. Be careful if you decide to install GrabIt; Windows Home Server isn't a desktop operating system, and the installation, removal, and updating of desktop apps (like GrabIt) is a major reason Windows PCs can become unstable after a while. Installing one or two carefully chosen apps isn't likely to be a problem; installing every darn thing that comes along very possibly is.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:57 PM
  • I have been using Ninan since WHS came out.

It is a web server based application (java) and can be made to run as a service using the Java service wrapper.  For instructions see the following page.

Install Ninan as a windows service

I agree with Ken that this should all be done on a disk that has not been added to the storage pool.  With Ninan you can use a batch file that runs after the download is complete to move the post files to your shared folder.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 6:00 PM
  • On my WHS I've been running SABnzbd to do exactly this. NZBs are stored to a share on the server.

SABnzbd (runs as a service) picks them up and starts the download (or schedules it if you don't want to download

at certain times). It stores the downloads to a (non-WHS managed) folder and when they are complete, it pars, unrars etc. and puts the result on a WHS share.

Administration is via a web UI so you don't need to remote desktop to WHS all the time...

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:12 PM
  • thanks all - those are all really good answers. I'll be reading up on SABnzdb and the other solutions
    - Chr
    Friday, January 11, 2008 4:05 PM
  • In case you decide to go for sabnzbd, here's a tip (cost me some time to sort this out). Initially the web admin did not work, the webpage could not be found. I read in the sabnzbd forum this is caused by using localhost iso the real ip address in the configuration. However, changing it did not help. It turns out you need to pass this as a parameter when starting up the service: sabnzbd -s www.xxx.yyy.zzzStick out tongueort. I'm using rc3, recently rc4 was released which might have fixed this. After I started the service like this, I can just check the queue etc. from other pcs on the network.

Also, don't forget to have sabnzb store downloads-in-progress to a drive or folder that is not managed by WHS to avoid possible issues with the data corruption bug.

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:52 PM
  • thanks goldencore.
    I don't have a whs yet, but being able to handle usenet downloads as part of the solution is now making me pretty exited about getting a whs. Your tips will definately come in handy once I start setting up the server.

If I understood you correctly I should just make sure that that the sabnzbd service is started on the whs with a reference to the whs internal IP on the network like 'sabnzbd -s 192.168.1.50' if the whs would be on that IP - is that correct?
    - Chr
    Monday, January 14, 2008 11:47 AM
  • Yes, that is correct. Newer versions might have fixed this, just pointing it out since it cost

me some time to sort our why I couldn't access the web UI remotely, even though it displayed

the right settings on the server.

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:20 PM