Backuup Plan for All PCs RRS feed

• Question

• I have MSN Premium with Windows Live One Care version 2.0.2500.14 on two computers with a wired router, both computers are running Vista Home Premium.

On 1/15/08 I was told that Windows Live One Care had been updated and that I could no longer backup to my CD/DVD drive and would have to backup to a Hard Drive.

I installed an external hard drive selected one of the PCs as the hub PC and selected a backup plan for all PCs. When I go to save the backup settings I get the following.

One care will back up your files according to the settings below.

Backup plan for all PCs

Where: External hard drive G:\

When: Weekly on Tuesday 3:00 AM

What: All file types (recommended)

These settings can only be changed on the hub PC

These PCs have their own backup plan:

PC-One

PC-Two

PC-One and PC-Two are the two PCs on my system and nothing was backed up at 3:00 AM on Tuesday. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to get both computers backed up to the External hard drive connected to PC-One. Do I need to uninstall One Care from both computers before doing the setup?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:56 AM

Answers

• First of all, you can certainly continue to backup each PC to CD/DVD if that is what you want, but the new Centralized backup feature makes it easier to do an automated backup.

Configuring backup can be confusing. It sounds like you have configured the Centralized backup, but if you look at the settings for both PCs from the hub, I suspect that backup is turned off or backup is still partially configured for the CD\DVD destination.

If you want to use an external disk connected to the Hub for backup for both PCs, it needs to be Shared per this:

Set user permissions for a centralized backup device

Before you can use a shared network drive or external hard disk as a central backup device for all computers in your OneCare circle, you must make sure that all users on the network have the correct permissions to access it.

By default, Windows XP uses simple file sharing. If the centralized backup device is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Home Edition, all users on the network automatically have the correct permissions to access the device. However, if the centralized backup device is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, simple file sharing is turned off when you create a backup plan that uses a centralized backup device. Before you can access the device from other computers in your circle, you must set permissions that allow access to all users.

To configure the shared backup device so that all users on the network can access it:
    1. On the computer that the backup device is connected to, navigate to the appropriate backup folder or drive.
    2. Right-click the backup folder or drive, and then click Properties.
    3. In Windows XP, on the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

–or–

In Windows Vista, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

4. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    5. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

----------------------------------------

Here are the steps for creating a Centralized Backup Plan for you Circle:

Create a backup plan

To help avoid losing important data, you should create a backup plan to back up your files regularly. You can create a separate plan for individual computers, or create a plan that uses a central backup device for all the computers in your OneCare circle. You can create a plan that uses a central backup device only from a hub PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, what I think I'd recommend is turning backup off for both PCs and turning off the centralized backup and then saving these settings. Next, I would go back into the setup and configure the Centralized backup per the above.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:13 AM
  • I'm glad that you got the backup to work. You won't be able to access the backup files in Windows Explorer since OneCare protects the folders - unless you take ownership of the folders. However, there is no need to do this as the restore takes place from OneCare. The backup folders contain the backed up data in .zip files.

Your first backup will indeed take up the most space. Subsequent backups will only back up new and changed files and update the catalog. Unless you regularly save very large files, your drive won't fill up for much longer that 4 months.

-steve

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:22 AM

All replies

• First of all, you can certainly continue to backup each PC to CD/DVD if that is what you want, but the new Centralized backup feature makes it easier to do an automated backup.

Configuring backup can be confusing. It sounds like you have configured the Centralized backup, but if you look at the settings for both PCs from the hub, I suspect that backup is turned off or backup is still partially configured for the CD\DVD destination.

If you want to use an external disk connected to the Hub for backup for both PCs, it needs to be Shared per this:

Set user permissions for a centralized backup device

Before you can use a shared network drive or external hard disk as a central backup device for all computers in your OneCare circle, you must make sure that all users on the network have the correct permissions to access it.

By default, Windows XP uses simple file sharing. If the centralized backup device is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Home Edition, all users on the network automatically have the correct permissions to access the device. However, if the centralized backup device is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, simple file sharing is turned off when you create a backup plan that uses a centralized backup device. Before you can access the device from other computers in your circle, you must set permissions that allow access to all users.

To configure the shared backup device so that all users on the network can access it:
    1. On the computer that the backup device is connected to, navigate to the appropriate backup folder or drive.
    2. Right-click the backup folder or drive, and then click Properties.
    3. In Windows XP, on the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

–or–

In Windows Vista, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

4. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    5. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

----------------------------------------

Here are the steps for creating a Centralized Backup Plan for you Circle:

Create a backup plan

To help avoid losing important data, you should create a backup plan to back up your files regularly. You can create a separate plan for individual computers, or create a plan that uses a central backup device for all the computers in your OneCare circle. You can create a plan that uses a central backup device only from a hub PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, what I think I'd recommend is turning backup off for both PCs and turning off the centralized backup and then saving these settings. Next, I would go back into the setup and configure the Centralized backup per the above.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help, I finally got both computers backed up on the external hard drive on Computer A (The Hub Computer).

On the hard drive there is a folder named Windows OneCare Backup.

Inside this folder there are two sub folders named Computer A and Computer B and inside each there is a folder named 2008 with the date.

When I try to access ether folder I get the message,

You don’t currently have permission to access this folder. [Continue]

Then,  Windows needs your permission to continue.

Then,  You have been denied permission to access this folder, to gain access to this folder you need to use the security tab.

At this point I am totally lost, what do I do now?

Also it looks as if the backup took 30 GB of disk space for both computers. Is this normal, if so at this rate my 500 GB hard drive will be full in 16/17 weeks.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:33 PM
  • I'm glad that you got the backup to work. You won't be able to access the backup files in Windows Explorer since OneCare protects the folders - unless you take ownership of the folders. However, there is no need to do this as the restore takes place from OneCare. The backup folders contain the backed up data in .zip files.

Your first backup will indeed take up the most space. Subsequent backups will only back up new and changed files and update the catalog. Unless you regularly save very large files, your drive won't fill up for much longer that 4 months.

-steve

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:22 AM