Using domain with Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get my Remote Access to work on my WHS.  I have an IP connection with Cox Cable and they block ports 80 and 443.  I subscribe to TZO.com and have a custom domain DNS.  I have an HP MediaSmart Server.   I also can't restore my server from the HP disk.

The computer with the WHS console is Windows 7 Ultimate.

I want my WHS to run with my domain name for Remote Access.

Can anybody help me or tell me what other info they need?

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:52 PM Not a development question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:54 PM

All replies

• For restoring your server, try disconnecting your router from the Internet. Leave it disconnected, reboot everything (including the router), and see if you can initiate recovery then.

For Remote Access, there's no supported way to change the ports the web site is on, and there's no way at all to change the Remote Desktop proxy poert (4125, used when you make a remote desktop connection to some computer on your home network, including a console connection to your server). If you're familiar with how to configure IIS and manage web servers, you can change the ports on the appropriate sites.

But consider before you change the ports: if your ISP is blocking those ports, presumably it's against their Acceptable Use Policy to run a server on your Internet connection. It's unlikely to reach this point, but violation of their TOS/AUP could result in losing your internet connection or being billed for the additional services (usually business class service), possibly for a period of time into the past. Are you sure you want to do this?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:51 PM