Getting TCP error on remote access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've had WHS 2011 up and running about 2 years, and it works pretty flawlessly. I'm on a HP Proliant micoserver, and it runs smooth as can be. About two weeks ago, I start having errors with my remote access though. UPnP has all the ports forwarded normally (not working even when I manually forward ports), the server is running a static IP on my network, and I can RDP normally to it (and access things like PLEX from it) so long I am on the local network. 

When trying to access remotely, I get an error saying:

<big>Network Error (tcp_error)</big> 

A communication error occurred: ""
    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

I don't see anything weird with my settings on my router, but seeing that Plex and RDP aren't working remotely, it has to be related to them, right? Any ideas as to just where I should be looking? Tests I can run to show me if ports are closed?

Also, pinging my public IP or domain name (xxx.homeserver.com) I get timeouts on all packets. Thanks for any help!
    Monday, July 14, 2014 5:51 PM

Answers

• "Also, pinging my public IP or domain name (xxx.homeserver.com) I get timeouts on all packets."

That is a telling statement which leads me to believe that the problem is not related to WHS. Just to confirm, you ping your external IP address from a remote location and do not get a response? If so, it sounds like a router or ISP problem. Try running "ShieldsUp" ay www.grc.com  to see which ports are actually open.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, July 14, 2014 7:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:16 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 7:10 PM
  • Timeouts can also mean, that the dynamic DNS service did not update its record successful - on which end, has yet to be determined. But if it would be on Microsoft's end, we might have seen more related topics.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• "Also, pinging my public IP or domain name (xxx.homeserver.com) I get timeouts on all packets."

That is a telling statement which leads me to believe that the problem is not related to WHS. Just to confirm, you ping your external IP address from a remote location and do not get a response? If so, it sounds like a router or ISP problem. Try running "ShieldsUp" ay www.grc.com  to see which ports are actually open.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, July 14, 2014 7:10 PM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 7:10 PM
  • Timeouts can also mean, that the dynamic DNS service did not update its record successful - on which end, has yet to be determined. But if it would be on Microsoft's end, we might have seen more related topics.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:05 PM