Windows Home Server and Windows Explorer crashes, freezes, green arrows, jumping, times out RRS feed

• Question

• Purchased brand new HP MediaSmart Server with Windows Home Server installed (most recent version of everything I presume and updated) a couple months ago.

With Duplication turned on, green arrows appear in Windows Explorer as I'm searching for files - not server files, just desktop files. The green arrows flash until the folder has been "backed up" I presume. 

When any folder in the directories are flashing, I cannot control the scroll in Windows Explorer. I'll scroll down to a lower folder and once I lift a finger on the mouse to move to the directory I wish to open, the folder panel jumps back to the last directory open. I have to click my way down the list, opening folders I don't wish to open, to get to beyond the lower part of the screen. 

When more than two Windows Explorers windows are open, the second or third one will cause them all to lock up/freeze, time out, and crash. I, the queen of wanting to rename things, have to crash one of the two explorer.exe programs running (one is Windows Explorer the file manager and the other is the taskbar controls), guessing which is which, and restart them. The same happens when I have Windows Explorer open and I use File > Open in any program (browser, word processor, text editor, graphics, you name it). If I wait 3-30 minutes, it might unfreeze.

Even in the programs when opening a file, I have the issue with the scrolling jumping around, making it tedious to get to a file. 

If I turn the server off, the problems go away. This happens on the three computers linked to the server, all running Windows 7 updated to the latest whatever. 

Suggestions, ideas? Thanks.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:18 PM

All replies

• I'm still frustrated with this. It impacts my ability to access my files and slows down my computer. Is there any way to disconnect Windows Home Server's ability to appear "active" in Windows Explorer? Thanks.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Hi

I have real trouble understanding what you are actually saying, but I have never heard of anything like this before. Equally, I can't understand how WHS can have the affect you describe on your clients. Green arrows - the only uninvited Green Arrows I have ever eard of were created by Norton 360 on files which were due to be backed up by Norton but which had not been. Do you have Norton 360 installed?

Perhaps a call to HP might be your best bet?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Have you checked the event viewer of your client machines & server?

Cheers,
    Nick

Nick Asseloos MVP Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:07 PM