Replace a Hardrive in WHS. wd 2tb green RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Couldn't find a similar topic, sorry if it has been posted before. A while a go I added a WD green harddrive in my home server. After a while the harddrive started to get error and I have some problems when restarting the server, have to take the drive out and  start it without it and then put in while running. Sometimes it works at first try and sometimes after a while. After googling it, it seems like the "green" harddrives doesn't work well with whs or xp, at least thats what I found out. So i basically want to replace it with a new one. Is there anyway to acces the drive as a own "folder" so i can manually copy the storage over to a external drive and then copy it back to a new hardrive? Or won't this work? I haven't duplicated it. Or aren't there any solution of replacement without loosing the content? I can acces the drive when it works, but when restarting etc. I get problems.

I don't have any free slots in the server.

Sorry for the bad english ;)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:12 PM

Answers

• I can acces everything on it so its not "broken".

So there should be no problem. If you want to play safe, you need to duplicate every folder first and wait to complete and then remove that drive ; wait to complete ; then physically remove it. But they way I described it it works as good and it will be quite faster to complete.

Btw, I think every data you start crying for if lost, should be in a Duplicated folder by default. So all duplicated and what you don;t hate loosing don't duplicate (and only if space is needed). Safety first is all folders Duplicated. Often many say so, but that is after... dataloss...

"SirAnt" wrote in message news:ec60f9a2-71da-4edb-8073-0c6232341d9c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

yes, I understand how to remove it, but I don't want to loose the data on the wd drive, I can acces everything on it so its not "broken".

Have a nice day!
    • Marked as answer by SirAnt Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:24 PM

All replies

• Just add the new drive to the storage and after that, remove the faulty drive.
    Have green drives here with no problem. Although mine are Samsung (the coldest I've ever seen ; WD is the hottest I've seen in my WHS).

"SirAnt" wrote in message news:23fb279c-a847-4598-93f8-041f4c329c60@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hello

Couldn't find a similar topic, sorry if it has been posted before. A while a go I added a WD green harddrive in my home server. After a while the harddrive started to get error and I have some problems when restarting the server, have to take the drive out and start it without it and then put in while running. Sometimes it works at first try and sometimes after a while. After googling it, it seems like the "green" harddrives doesn't work well with whs or xp, at least thats what I found out. So i basically want to replace it with a new one. Is there anyway to acces the drive as a own "folder" so i can manually copy the storage over to a external drive and then copy it back to a new hardrive? Or won't this work? I haven't duplicated it. Or aren't there any solution of replacement without loosing the content? I can acces the drive when it works, but when restarting etc. I get problems.

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:42 PM
  • So just add a new drive? But how can I duplicate the files from the wd drive? I don't know how to find which files are on that hardrive, and If I have to press duplicate on "everything" I have to buy four new drives...
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:48 PM
  • By removing  I mean:
    Go in the WHS Console to Server Storage ==> Select the drive ==> Right mouse click ==> choose Remove.
    Wait wait wait wait wait sigh.. untill it tells you this is completed.
    After that you can physically remove it.

"Leen" <ms_windows_2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d8d87343-9a62-4966-8aa5-295a3f3f64b1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Just add the new drive to the storage and after that, remove the faulty drive.
    Have green drives here with no problem. Although mine are Samsung (the coldest I've ever seen ; WD is the hottest I've seen in my WHS).

"SirAnt" wrote in message news:23fb279c-a847-4598-93f8-041f4c329c60@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hello

Couldn't find a similar topic, sorry if it has been posted before. A while a go I added a WD green harddrive in my home server. After a while the harddrive started to get error and I have some problems when restarting the server, have to take the drive out and start it without it and then put in while running. Sometimes it works at first try and sometimes after a while. After googling it, it seems like the "green" harddrives doesn't work well with whs or xp, at least thats what I found out. So i basically want to replace it with a new one. Is there anyway to acces the drive as a own "folder" so i can manually copy the storage over to a external drive and then copy it back to a new hardrive? Or won't this work? I haven't duplicated it. Or aren't there any solution of replacement without loosing the content? I can acces the drive when it works, but when restarting etc. I get problems.

-- Have a nice day!

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:49 PM
  • See also my own follow up I just posted here.
    No need to duplicate. By Removing (see the followup post!!) it moves the data to the other drive(s).

"SirAnt" wrote in message news:945bb25d-b174-49ae-bb66-42f62381eb19@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

So just add a new drive? But how can I duplicate the files from the wd drive? I don't know how to find which files are on that hardrive, and If I have to press duplicate on "everything" I have to buy four new drives...

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:52 PM
  • yes, I understand how to remove it, but I don't want to loose the data on the wd drive, I can acces everything on it so its not "broken". 
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:54 PM
  • I can acces everything on it so its not "broken".

So there should be no problem. If you want to play safe, you need to duplicate every folder first and wait to complete and then remove that drive ; wait to complete ; then physically remove it. But they way I described it it works as good and it will be quite faster to complete.

Btw, I think every data you start crying for if lost, should be in a Duplicated folder by default. So all duplicated and what you don;t hate loosing don't duplicate (and only if space is needed). Safety first is all folders Duplicated. Often many say so, but that is after... dataloss...

"SirAnt" wrote in message news:ec60f9a2-71da-4edb-8073-0c6232341d9c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

yes, I understand how to remove it, but I don't want to loose the data on the wd drive, I can acces everything on it so its not "broken".

Have a nice day!
    • Marked as answer by SirAnt Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:24 PM
  • ah, thanks for answering, I read your post alittle to fast. problem solved :)
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:51 PM