Changes in date/time stamp! RRS feed

• Question

• I have two identical folders with my documents on my desktop (xp), and my laptop (vista).  I've been using synctoy 2.0 to keep the folder in sync.
    The problem is that sometimes the timestamps of all the files change for no reason!  Vista seems to be the culprit, but I'm not sure.  The first time it did this they were all 3 hours off.  I overwrote time all.  Now they are all 2 hours off again.  I can't overwrite over 2000 files this frequently. It destroys the point of syncing. 
    Briefcase worked flawlessly on both machines and I never had this problem. I only switched to synctoy because breifcase was insanely slow on the vista machine.
    What's the problem here?
    Friday, March 7, 2008 1:29 AM

All replies

• I am seeing a similar issue regarding timestamps. I am running Vista 64 with SP1. I have set NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate to zero to be able to track file access. If I check the contents of folder pair directories after running SyncToy 2.0, I notice all files now have a last access timestamp during the interval SyncToy was running. Since I consider SyncToy a type of backup software, I would prefer it not change file timestamps.

Monday, March 31, 2008 6:32 PM
  • I am having a similar issue on Win XP, the day after daylight saving time change to summer. Now, all files are reported with 1 hour difference and SyncToy wants to overwrite them all.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:10 AM
  • Hi -

There is a bug where we do not detect the time change because of the Daylight Saving Time change and we think the files have really changed. We will be fixing this in our RTM version - at this point you will have to let the files to sync with the Overwrite for all files to be truely in sync.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:54 PM
  • Thanks, Deepa! Will you also address the resetting of the last access timestamp? Running SyncToy should not result in files being modified to the time a backup was run.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:44 AM
  • I got Vista Business and installed SP 1 and then the trouble began -- files (mostly eml) that weren't even touched suddenly have today's date stamp when I sync to my portable hard drive before going home!!  Why?

I had to click "No" sync and go through hundreds of files to see which were actually changed today. Aaaargh.

I loved Vista for about 24 hours and WANTED it to work, so why???

jjb

PS: I use Vista Business SP1. 4GB RAM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:20 AM
  • For Deepa,

Have just this effect. Synchronising from desktop with XP Home SP2 to server (another desktop) with XP Pro SP2.

Server shows all files time one hour later than desktop. Synchronising on different drives on same machine (desktop) does not show this. (All after this spring change to BST)

Questions:

1/ As the folders include some 6,000 image files, I am reluctant to change them all. Which is correct so I keep original times?

2/ Is it an XP Home - XP Pro difference?

3/ Suggestion - There seems to be no way to select a group of files, as can do in Windows Explorer with 'left click and shift'. Can this be added? It would make dealing with above much easier!

Apart from bug, this is nearly everything Briefcase should have been, but wasn't! Keep up the good work!

Tekni

Friday, May 9, 2008 10:38 AM
  • Using Synctoy 2.0 since a couple of weeks, I discover exactly the same problem than described on the 1st post:

I have two identical folders with my documents on my desktop (xp), and my laptop (vista).  I've been using synctoy 2.0 to keep the folder in sync.
    The problem is that sometimes the timestamps of all the files change for no reason!  Vista seems to be the culprit, but I'm not sure. 

Note that between desktop and laptop computer, I use a external USB hard disk to transfer files from 1 PC to the other.

I'm sure that it's not a problem of Daylight Saving Time change. (if DST is the change of hour twice an year as I understand it)

As the 1st post is 9 month old, with no other post after May 2008, I think that some people have THE solution. But I don't find it on the net.

Can you help me?

Thanks

R2DD95 (from Paris)
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:20 PM
  • This is really a problem of Synctoy!

I face it with a desktop - Windows XP - SP3, NTFS, and a pendrive, FAT32. Sometimes it occurs, sometimes not, I could not trace why. I am GMT -3. Just now, for part (???) of the files in the pendrive, the timestamp changed to -3 hours, even files just copyed from HD to pendrive. Synctoy ask to copy these files to sync or echo them. Above Deepa recommends to let Synctoy do it! Sorry, no way! And it has nothing to do with Daylight Saving Time (would be limited to just one hour differences, and besides it, I never use DST in my computers). Either Windows Explorer or Power Desk (good old Power Desk!) do not show differences, even Power Desk sync tool shows no files to copy.

This is a big problem and it seems should not be difficult to find and repair by the good people who developed Synctoy. Without a solution, we would let no other action but to discard it. Maybe many people have done it silently.

Any sound reply?

Josafah

PS: SyncToy 2.0
    Friday, February 13, 2009 7:58 AM
  • I never had this problem... until today, where I upgraded from Synctoy 2.0 to 2.1. Suddenly all of my documents (that I have made no change to) seem to have a hone-hour different time-stamp (in the "last modified" column).

Just before upgrading, I ran a complete sync, and SynToy 2.0 had no problems of that sort (and never has had for me - at least I haven't noticed). So running a complete sync right after upgrading to 2.1, shouldn't turn up any files for sync (as a complete sync had just been performed).

Instead, it seems that Windows (Win 7 Pro) have changed the timestamp one hour ahead, to make up for the daylight savings adjustment (which really makes no sense, since the the time of modification should be a constant until you modify the file again). Why oh why, would Windows do that? And why has this not been fixed in the two years this thread has been around? Even more puzzling - why didn't this happen to me in the previous version of synctoy?

Btw. just to make sure that Windows 7 was the culprit, I tried to change the option "Automatically adjust the clock for daylight savings time" - and sure enough, all of the "Date modified" timestamps changed in my entire Documents (and probably ever other) folder, and afterwards SyncToy did not want to sync anything.

Sigh... I've really loved SyncToy, and used it for years, but this is just a bug, that shouldn't be there, especially not after more than two years of knowing that it exists.

I hope it'll be fixed soon, so I won't have to re-sync my 14 gigs of documents for no reason too often.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 3:38 PM