Remoting into a Client PC? Setting needed on the PC? RRS feed

• Question

• So I have WHS 2011 setup with 2 clients.  I can use the RWA to connect into the system via the homeserver.com site.

I can connect to the server and see the dashboard, but I can't connect to a client.  When I click the Connect button for one of the clients, it actually remotes me into the server and I end up at the desktop.  Assuming because the ports go to the server.  If I'm on the server and then run Remote Desktop to go to the client, it asks for a login which I don't have.

The PCs are running XP Pro and do not require a password to log on as there's just one user per PC.

Do I need to setup a user on the XP machines just to use for remoting in?  And should I be able to use the Connect button to get to the client instead of having that go to the server and then going from there to the client?

Just trying to figure out how all this works.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:25 PM

Answers

• To use remote desktop a username with password is required. With a blank password you will not be able to login to the workstation.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Also missed above you should be able to go directly to the workstation from the web page. If you cannot, is is quite likely a side effect of not having a user account with a password.
    • Edited by frogz1 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:33 PM extra info
    • Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:25 PM

All replies

• To use remote desktop a username with password is required. With a blank password you will not be able to login to the workstation.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Also missed above you should be able to go directly to the workstation from the web page. If you cannot, is is quite likely a side effect of not having a user account with a password.
    • Edited by frogz1 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:33 PM extra info
    • Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Yeah, I thought it was something like that.  I opted to just install Logmein instead. :)
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:37 PM