none
FAQ item "How do I avoid spam" say "provide you email address", but where? RRS feed

• Question

• In the FAQ item How do I avoid spam it says "To avoid Spam, try providing a different version of your e-mail address." I can't see anywhere that my email address is viewable as text for spam harvesting, my email only appears in my profile settings (which I presume is private) where it needs to be the real working address so the forum engine can send me messages. So is this FAQ entry nonsense or what is it referring to?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:47 AM

Answers

• John,

sometimes users will post their emailaddress in a post to get help or because they want to get in contact with others. The faq just tells that you at least should somehow provide a different email address like e.g. John(at)blabla.com

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by John Calvert Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:56 AM

All replies

• John,

sometimes users will post their emailaddress in a post to get help or because they want to get in contact with others. The faq just tells that you at least should somehow provide a different email address like e.g. John(at)blabla.com

Hannes

In a perfect world,

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by John Calvert Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Your explanation sounds reasonable, in that case this FAQ item should not be in the section "User Profiles, Registration, and Login" but instead under the section "Posting".

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:12 PM
  • you are right.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Your explanation sounds reasonable, in that case this FAQ item should not be in the section "User Profiles, Registration, and Login" but instead under the section "Posting".

Hi John !

It is written under "User Profiles, Registration, and Login" Section because spam emails will directly effect you email address which you have provided for discussion on groups / posts.

In the section mentioned above it has been advised for users to;
                    "An alternate strategy is to use a secondary e-mail account, such as a Hotmail account, that is separate from your primary account for posting to discussion groups."

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks,
    Hasham

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:14 PM
  • This FAQ entry says:

... we would recommend modifying [your email address] to one of the following:
  • someone@example.com.(donotspam)
  • someone@REMOVE_CAPS_AND_INVALIDexample.com
  • someone@example.com.NO_SPAM
  • This should not apply to the section it is under "User Profiles". I find this confusing since changing my profile email to something patterned like this will break my account.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I accepted this answer but I feel that the FAQ needs revising as it is not clear.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:11 PM