OneCare v2 limits the back-up of critical user data RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

OneCare v2 reduces its user appeal and usefulness by excluding the ability to designate folders within Program Files for backup.

I run some programs whose working data file is located, alongside the program itself, within the Program Files structure. Examples are: Simply Books (all my business accounts - extremely important) 10-Strike SearchMyDisks, Create Your Own Will, My Password Manager (another incredibly important program).

Other programs locate working template files (which can involve a lot of user configuration which I don't want to lose by accident).

Someone suggested to me that, with OneCare v2, you have decided to prevent users from backing up or copying licensed program files, but this is the function of Big Brother software, not a back-up utility. If the suggestion is correct then, by assuming that your users are basically criminally-inclined (thank you - we love Microsoft's anti-trust record too) you are unfairly penalising users who have chosen to use and rely on programs that employ the Program Files area to store critical data.

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:55 AM

All replies

• I don't think it has anything to do with licensed program files being backed up and everything to do with simplifying backup to only look at data files. Backup in OneCare never handled program settings.

Programmers who write programs to store user data files in the \Program Files or \Windows folders have simply written bad code, unfortunately. However, I still feel that the old way that you could include any folder and all files in that folder, while bad logic, was the better way to handle backup.

A bigger gap, in my opinion, is that we can't customize the file types being backed up. If I choose to give a text file an extension of .steve instead of .txt and associate that new file type with Notepad, OneCare will not back it up because it doesn't match the backup selection criteria for file types. I think we should be able to edit the list of file types to be backed up.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:07 PM
  • I'm inclined to agree with you that the reason for the change, as put to me is a bit paranoid.

Data folders located within Program Files probably indicates, also, a rather sloppy appreciation by the authors of the real importance of users' data. But, badly written code or not, these programs do exist and some of them - not all - turn out to be exactly right for their users. And so they live on - good ideas but not well executed.

OneCare is all about protecting and preserving clients' data, so it would be good if they could see that, in the real world, their tendency to favour even more simplified back-up is doing a disservice to those who need something a bit more comprehensive.

andy

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:56 PM