none
VS gets slower RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

I use VS Professional 2012. They updated my VS automatically. Ever since then, VSC++ editor takes twice longer time than usual to load solution files (i.e. .cpp).

Can somebody explain to me why and how I can fix it please.

Regards

Chong

• Moved by Baron Bi Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:52 AM Not about development
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 4:01 AM

All replies

• Who is they?  Why is your system set to accept updates automatically?

What kind of time difference are you noticing?  Is it a 5 second load now takes 10 or is it a 45 second load taking 1.5 minutes?  What device in your system is the cpp file stored on (local or network, hard disk or thumb drive, etc)?

The latest update to VS2012 seems to be #5 dated in no later that 2015.  When did it get applied?  Did the problem start to occur immediately after the update was applied?  If not, what were the most recent changes to your system just prior to the problem occurring?

Have you tried to restore your system to a restore point prior to the problem occurring?  Have you tried to reinstall VS2012?  Is there a reason you cannot use one of the more recent versions of VS?

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Hi

How can I stop the system automatically updating? I mean the Microsoft by 'they'.

I have uninstalled VS2012 and reinstall it but the problem persists. 5 second loading takes 10 seconds. The cpp file is stored the local SSD.

Regards

Chong

Saturday, May 13, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Hi

How can I stop the system automatically updating? I mean the Microsoft by 'they'.

Go to Control Panel -> Windows Update and select an option other than apply automatically.
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Hi

I have uninstalled VS2012 and reinstall it but the problem persists. 5 second loading takes 10 seconds. The cpp file is stored the local SSD.

Regards

Chong

What is the latest update that has been applied to VS?  When was it applied?

When you reinstalled, did you install any updates to VS.  If not, then the problem is most likely not related to VS.

Small changes in timing can result from a variety of factors including the fragmented state of the file and higher priority tasks consuming CPU and bandwidth resources.  Have you defragged the disk recently?   What does Task Monitor show about other tasks?  Are other tasks accessing the same disk?

What other changes have you made to the system?

Saturday, May 13, 2017 5:33 PM
  • Hi ,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ development. For your case, I suggest you post on Microsoft Community for better support.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,
    Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:13 AM