Questions about Peer to Peer sync.... RRS feed

• Question

• I am really excited about this feature, but I ahve a few questions....

Is there a limit to how many files you can sync this way?  10,000  50,000 etc.?  Or size limits on the files like 4 gig?

Can I sync a mapped network drive, like my m: drive?

What happens if someone deletes a file are the file deleted on all folders in sync?

If a client deletes a folder, or removes their folder from the mesh, will this delete the folder among all mesh systems?  For instance, I add a music folder to my wife's desktop.  We are meshing and she accidentally deletes the mesh folder, is all of my local music wiped?  Is there a local trashcan folder it moves the file to in case of accidental delete?

What happens if 5 people all open a file simultaneously, then all save it at a seperate time.  Will I have the changes that only the last person did and lose the rest of the changes?

Great work, I just need to understand how it works before I get rid of Foldershare.

Thanks much for more insight.
    -Paul
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 4:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Here are some answers to your questions:

There is no limit on the number or size of files that you can sync peer-to-peer, though there is a limit of 100,00 on the total number of files that any one Live Mesh folder can contain (regardless of how it is syncing).

We do not support syncing network drives, though this is a popular feature request.  Please feel free to add your vote for this in the Wish List sticky.

Please see the Known Issues sticky for answers to your questions about file deletion (and please let me know if you have further questions after reading that thread).

Finally, when multiple people change a file simultaneously it generates a conflict notice in Live Mesh, which can be handled differently depending on the scenario.  File conflict reporting and resolution, however, is something that we're still working hard to improve.

I hope that helps.

Ben.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 8:32 PM