One care firewall issue RRS feed

• Question

• I few days ago, I purchased a new HP laptop DV3510NR.  I removed Norton Internet Security with the Norton Uninstall tool from it and installed ONE CARE.  I am having two issues.

1. While my hub PC is turned on and if I turn on the new laptop, the One Care indicator turns red on the hub PC but the One Care indicator on the new laptop is green.  If I click on the red one care indicator it tells me that my firewall is turned off on the laptop.  Not So.  How do I fix this problem? For example, If I remove the check from the box about removing home or work locations from a public place, the hub picks it up right away.  If I make a corrective action for this on the laptop, the hub does not pick it up.

2.  I tried sharing a printer on the hub PC.  It will not work since the Hub PC is running XP media center 32 bit.  My printer can have a network connection. Will I be able to share the printer if it is only connected through my network and not the hub PC?

Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:59 PM

Answers

• For question 1, see this post:
    Incorrect Status & False Alarms

For question 2, if the new PC is using 64 bit Vista, then OneCare printer sharing will not work with the 32 bit XP. You can share it manually with Windows File and Printer Sharing.

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Once you've configured File and printer Sharing to be enabled through the firewall, see this article to share the printer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:59 AM