Live OneCare Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• How do I turn off the firewall in LiveOneCare? I'm downloading some programs that need the firewall turned off. I must be blind for I can not find how to turn it off. Why the hassle?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:54 PM

Answers

• Open One Care, select Change Settings, select the Firewall tab, select Off.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:06 PM

All replies

• Open One Care, select Change Settings, select the Firewall tab, select Off.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Same here. I am so sorry I ever used this product. It will not release my Firwewall and I can not even access it through the policy editor. It takes over my computer just like Norton's used to. This can't even be uninstalled!!!!
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 12:06 AM
  •  JesseJr wrote:
    Same here. I am so sorry I ever used this product. It will not release my Firwewall and I can not even access it through the policy editor. It takes over my computer just like Norton's used to. This can't even be uninstalled!!!!

If you have OneCare installed, you do *not* turn on the Windows firewall.

If you are trying to uninstall Windows Live OneCare and it is not uninstalling cleanly via add/remove programs, then try the cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

If you need help, contact support. 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you already removed OneCare and cannot get the Windows Firewall turned on, try this fix - 

Start/Run - type "regedit" without the quotes, click OK

Delete these Registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\DomainProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\StandardProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

WARNING - editing the registry could cause your PC to be unusable.

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:41 AM

• Steven,

Thanks for the tool for removing the Windows One Firewall block. Removing the Windows One actually did free up my windows Firewall and it now works. I still use the Sygate Firewall.

I don't know if the Windows One was also responsible for occluding my Windows Media Player, however. I can not get it to network for streaming audio. I push on the "network" tab under "options" in my  WMP 11 and it won't even open. I can not blame that on Windows One because it is still not networking even after I discarded the Windows One. Any suggestions?

I am running Windows XP Home on my Compaq Presario V2000 with 1.6 GHz CPU and 1.5 Gb Ram. I use Avast and Spyware Blaster and Ad Aware but recently tried the WinSock XP Repair. I also use IE 7 and Mozilla Firefox (newest Browser with Add ons updated). I scraped off Norton's with "De-Crapifier" and could not get all of AVG off either.

Jesse Jr
    jesse_gomez_jr@hotmail.com

Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:24 AM
  • If you've removed OneCare, then I don't think it should be affecting your WMP settings at all. I would be looking at the Sygate firewall settings.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:03 AM