Port forwarding port 80 security RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

How safely can one Port Forward port 80 on a wireless router?

I'm setting up a security camera system and want to be able to view it over the internet. The directions instruct me to Port Forward port 80 through my wireless router in order to access my camera DVR system from remote locations over the internet.  Being a security conscious person this port forwarding concept concerns me. I have my personal pc, etc also connected to this router and don't want to allow outside access to anything with that.

I'm considering my options to be as safe as possible. I run free security stuff such as Zone Alarm firewall and AVG Virus scanner but I'm concerned that I may become vulnerable innocently. or 'ignorantly'. (if there is such a word)

So, with fool proof safety in mind I'm considering having 2 wireless routers perhaps, one that is connected to my camera system and another that is to my pc and wireless network.  I'm not sure how I would do that though, could I run one wireless router out of another, or is there another way that I could port forward port 80 just to the secuity camera DVR? 

Any help and advice appreciated! 

Thanks, Lynnie

Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:26 PM