SyncToy with remote Windows shares? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I started using SyncToy 2.0 awhile ago to maintain backup copies of certain of my folders (my Favorites and Documents). 

I keep copies of these folders both on several local hard drives, and on a small NAS-like device that I have (an upgraded SMCWAPS-G).

That SMCWAPS-G supports USB external drives, but only formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.  It also supports a single internal drive that can be formatted as Ext2.

When I first started looking into this, I found some info about SyncToy problems when the target/right/destination was not NTFS, and because of that, I've only been using SyncToy to do synching ("Contribute") to the local drives, and have been using another synch product to do the network synching.

I originally had only USB drives (i.e., Fat32-formatted) attached to the SMCWAPS-G, but I recently added an internal 320GB drive (Ext2 formatted), so I decided today to try SyncToy to synch one of my folders to that 320GB drive (attached to the SMCWAPS-G).  The source/left folder is on an NTFS-formatted partition on my PC, and again, I had SyncToy set to "Contribute".

Anyway, I did the initial synch to the SMCWAPS-G, and it seemed to work.  I then shutdown SyncToy and then started it again, and did Preview, and it said that 0 files needed to be synched.

So, it seems to be working ok.

The reason for this post is I'm trying to determine if this is going to be ok ("anticipate" problems :))?  Should I be ok using SyncToy to synch to the SMCWAPS-G (again, Ext2 drive, "Contribute"), or will there be problems?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:38 PM

All replies

• Currently, there are known problems with using a Home NAS: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

There is an upcoming release that will fix this, I would recommend waiting for that. We will announce the release on our page at msdn.com/sync as soon as it is available.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:17 PM
  • We are targeting to have the next version of SyncToy (2.1) available by the end of this calendar year.  The main features include:

·         Fix for NAS corruption

·         Support for Sync Framework 2.0

·         Performance improvements

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Hi Sid,

Thanks for the reply.

That linked page doesn't give any specifics re. what the problems are with SyncToy and NAS.  I know that that page says that there is no workaround, but is there any information about what the circumstances are when this corruption happens?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

Ok, I've done some searching.  While I don't know if it's definitive, this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy

indicates that the corruption is only with "certain types" of files, and cites WMA files.

In my case, I'm just using SyncToy to synch some directories from my development environment (as a 2nd backup), so the files consist of mostly text files, and maybe some binaries (DLLs, JARs, etc.).  Would this corruption problem apply in this situation?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

what is the Microsoft definition of "Home NAS"?

Is this issue also affecting Windows Server Storage Edition or Windows Home Server or even shared directories on Windows 2003/2008 file server?

Best NitWit 
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:44 PM