Windows Homw Server RRS feed

• Question

• I setup WHS in 2009 for the basic reason so I could use multiple computers in my house and all the info would be in one place.  My WHS is a Atom mother board with 1Gb of memory, which was max allowed.  My WHS is networked where I have 2 wired and 2 wireless computers.  This has worked well for the past few years but I started to think.  All of my network computers have more capability and memory than my WHS, except for hard drive capacity for backing up all my network computers.  I am basically using WHS as a server.  My drawing software, schematic software, music is all on my WHS and I go to the WHS from my other computers and use WHS through my network computers.  I was wondering, I am using a network 3.0Ghz computer with 16Gb of memory to access a 1.80Ghz with 1Ghz of memory and doing my work there.  Should I not have the big gun as the WHS and be accessing it with lesser capability network computers.  I am sure there are folks out there that know the correct method to utilize the WHS in the most efficient way.  I would appreciate some input.  Thanks, GR5821
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:11 PM

All replies

• I don't believe WHS is designed to be an applications server in that sense. If you are using the WHS to do the hard work for a 3GHz computer with 16GB of memory then I agree that's wrong. Before upgrading your WHS though I would think carefully about what you are trying to achieve. Do you really need to run your drawing/schematic software from all 4 machines or would you be better off running it on your main machine and using your WHS for what it's intended? I am not a fan of client/server architecture!
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:06 PM