Oem Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I dont wanna buy it from hp I wanna build the computer myself please make windows home server availble in oem
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 12:15 AM

Answers

• There is a upgrade path for us. Please do a seach for "upgrade path".
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Absolutely.
    All along Microsoft have said the preferred route is to buy a box from a vendor but the OEM edition will be there for the enthusiast (ie us) market.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:41 AM

All replies

• There is a upgrade path for us. Please do a seach for "upgrade path".
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Absolutely.
    All along Microsoft have said the preferred route is to buy a box from a vendor but the OEM edition will be there for the enthusiast (ie us) market.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:41 AM
  •  shaanM wrote:
    I dont wanna buy it from hp I wanna build the computer myself please make windows home server availble in oem

This was written in the "Learn How to Upgrade" section of the help in Connector:

You can upgrade only from either the Beta 2 or the Evaluation versions of Windows Home Server to the fully licensed version. Boot your home server from the fully licensed Windows Home Server DVD, and then select Upgrade. When prompted during Setup, use the product key from the fully licensed Windows Home Server DVD.

Note

All of your Windows Home Server shared folders and computer backups are preserved during an upgrade. However, you need to recreate your user accounts, reinstall any installed applications, and reset your Windows Home Server Settings.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Isn't the OEM what HP and others will use, and the Retail version is what you mean?
    Monday, April 23, 2007 8:58 PM
  • No, an "OEM Single Pack" is OS software in a plain brown wrapper, intended to be sold with hardware sufficient to build a PC. In reality, you can buy an "OEM Single Pack" from NewEgg with just about anything. I expect the software-only version will be like that.

Retail software is something you can buy at Circuit City, or Best Buy.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 9:31 PM