Problem with Vail RC Client PC restore using usb restore key

Question

• I am experimenting with the client PC restore function on WHS Vail RC.  I am able to make a bootable usb restore key using the "additional client backup tasks" dialog in the Vail dashboard.  I can boot my PC off of this key and select Full restore 64bit OS (my client is win 7 Home x64).  Windows begins to load from the usb key but shortly after displaying the gray background I receive an application error as follows:

Application Error RestoreCDInit.exe The application cannot continue

Windows cannot continue from this exception.

(0xc0000025) occured in the application at location 0xff43b477.

Click on OK to terminate program

I don't believe this is a problem with the USB key because it tried two different usb drives with the same result.  Does anyone have any idea what might be happening and/or how to proceed?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:06 PM

All replies

• What size are the USB key's that you have tried doing the restores from ?

On the earlier beta's I had some strange problems trying to restore from a USB flash drive that was smaller than the recommended size 8Gb. Using an 8GB drive the restores were robust and reliable. Using a smaller flash drive the restore appeared to run OK but the machine would hard lock on rebooting after finishing. Only one restore was successful from the smaller drive from 6 attempts.

Although the restore boot files fitted on the smaller flash drive fine, my issue seemed to be related to the bios on my machine identifying the small flash drive as a floppy drive rather than a hard drive.

A log file of the restore is written to the flash drive during the install. Does this give any further clue's as to the problem?

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Both usb keys are 8GB keys.  They both give the same error. I would try more keys except I only have the two. 

Is there a CD (.iso) version of the PC restore suitable for use with WHS Vail RC?  I haven't been able to find one to try.

Chris

• Edited by wellread01 Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:08 PM typo
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Is there a CD (.iso) version of the PC restore suitable for use with WHS Vail PC?  I haven't been able to find one to try.

==========

Chris, when you downloaded your WHS 2011 bits, you should have also downloaded a file called "EN-US WHS  PREM RestoreCD". I haven't created it yet, but it did come with my download. So, unless you decided to uncheck/not check it when you downloaded, you should have it in the folder called "Windows Home Server 2011 Release Candidate - OEM install". Or the other one, which I didn't bother to download, since I downloaded "early". :)

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I did download that iso and tried using it without success.  On thinking about this failure I am surmising that this CD is not a PC Client Restore disk but a a WHS server restore disc intended for recovering a corrupt WHS installation from a WHS server backup (the name of the disc implies this).  Here is what I did that leads me to this conclusion:

I booted CD on the client PC and selected the option to restore/repair an installation.  That brought me to a page where it searched for a restore image. It failed to find one (I assume because it was looking on the PC for a restore image rather than on the WHS).  Next it gave me an option to connect to the server share that contains the backups.  This was strange because this directory is not shared by default and there were no instructions provided on how to share it.  However, I went back to the WHS and shared the "Client Computer Backups" directory.  Once I did this I was able to connect to the backup share from the repair facility, but the restore facility still did not find anything to restore.  I went back to WHS and confirmed that I had backed up both the system files and the OS drive.  At that point I was stumped, but the dialogs were what one might expect from a program that was trying to restore WHS itself.

Any light you can shed on this or assistance on how to use this disc to restore a PC would be helpful.

Chris

• Edited by wellread01 Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:20 PM to improve clarity (again)
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Upon further investigation of the documentation, I have confirmed that I was wrong.  The "EN-US WHS  PREM RestoreCD" ISO is for PC client restoration.  However, I am still stumped.  The steps required and dialogs that occur when this CD is run don't match the documentation. At least as far as I can tell. 

I am still trying to figure out where the PC client system image is.  I can't find any option in the WHS backup dialogs that would explicitly create one.  I had assumed that by backing up everything including the SYSTEM and OS that the required files would be backed up.  However, if a system image was created I can't find it.

I know one can create a system image using the Windows 7 Home backup utility but having to use it and the WHS backup facility to create a complete backup set would seem to be counter productive.

Any help on how to execute a PC client restore from the "EN-US WHS  PREM RestoreCD" would be appreciated.

Friday, February 25, 2011 2:19 AM
  • On the restores that I have done there haven't been any problems, Win7 x64 Ultimate is what the clients are. I burned the restore "iso" from the download on Connect. As always I use the application in Win7 to burn the disc from iso and never had a bad disk.

Rebooted the Client computer and then it went through the steps and at the beginning it found WHS and asked for the password to link to it. After that it was choosing the backup you wanted to restore to and that was it, it worked without a problem.

Could it be something in your "network" that isn't allowing it to see WHS during the restore process?

I have never had to look for an image.

--
    Don
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Sorry, should of read the title before posting, I have only used the CD for restore not the USB Key.

--
    Don
    Friday, February 25, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Thanks Don,

I will look into the network driver issue.  Both the client & WHS use Realtek network drivers.

I am happy to try a restore using either the CD or usb.  Since the usb was crashing I am currently trying a restore with the CD.  The CD doesn't crash but I am not having any luck with the restore.  When I run the CD on the client PC the first opportunity for user input is a dialog box that asks whether I want to do a new installation or repair an existing one.  I tell it to repair an exisiting one.  It immediately looks for a restore image but fails to find one.

If I I understand what you are saying, the restore should have found my WHS installation automatically. Then, as soon as I enter my login credentials, it should have found my backup sets.  Is that correct?

Was your client connected directly to the WHS?  Mine is connected via a switch and a router.

Chris

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Well, I tried adding the network drivers - no change.  The restore program is acting like it can connect to the WHS but it does not find anything to restore.  I think it is connecting to the WHS because if I tell it to connect to an nonexistant share or use incorrect credentials I get error messages, but if I tell it to look at a valid share and give it the correct credentials, it appears to connect.  It just doesn't find any backup sets.  I am flummoxed.

I tell it to look at \\myhomeservername or \\myhomeservername\client computer backups .  The "client computer backups" folder contains 179GB of backup files with one of three extensions .cc .configdat or .dat

-Chris

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:14 AM
  • On the restores that I have done there haven't been any problems, Win7 x64 Ultimate is what the clients are. I burned the restore "iso" from the download on Connect. As always I use the application in Win7 to burn the disc from iso and never had a bad disk.

Could it be something in your "network" that isn't allowing it to see WHS during the restore process?

============
    Don, not all routers are up front about their drivers and the restore disk won't work with some. Mine is one of those, and I have to put all my router's drivers onto a flash drive (outside any folders) and plug it in. Been a long time since I did this, and I can't remember all the particulars. Someone else instructed me in what to do and he isn't testing Vail.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:07 AM
  • On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 05:07:16 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

Don, not all routers are up front about their drivers and the restore disk won't work with some. Mine is one of those, and I have to put all my router's drivers onto a flash drive (outside any folders) and plug it in. Been a long time since I did this, and I can't remember all the particulars. Someone else instructed me in what to do and he isn't testing Vail.

I am not aware of any router on the market that requires drivers to access
    it. You may need to install network card drivers but not a router driver.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Shift to the left!  Shift to the right!  Pop up, push down, byte, byte,
    byte!

Friday, February 25, 2011 6:35 AM
  • "Paul Adare [MVP]" wrote in message news:0c2c999c-46f9-4412-bd4b-3c84719c28ac@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Whatever . . .

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:54 PM
  • On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:54:13 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

"Paul Adare [MVP]" wrote in message news:0c2c999c-46f9-4412-bd4b-3c84719c28ac@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Whatever . . .

So then please provide a link to these supposed router drivers Nancy.

I'm sure you'll come up with some kind of excuse for not being able to do
    so, or some flippant comment  or some slam against me personally but the
    bottom line is that there is no such thing as a "router driver".

Paul Adare
    logout

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:55 PM
  • >I'm sure you'll come up with some kind of excuse for not being able to do
    so, or some flippant comment  or some slam against me personally but the
    =========
    I'm really rather tired of being cyber-stalked. Please back off!

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 25, 2011 6:05 PM
  • On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:05:53 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

I'm sure you'll come up with some kind of excuse for not being able to do

so, or some flippant comment? or some slam against me personally but the
    =========
    I'm really rather tired of being cyber-stalked. Please back off!

Pretty much as I expected. I'm asking you to provide proof of your
    assertion regarding the supposed "router drivers" as you've posted to this
    thread what others make take to be an answer and it isn't. There is no such
    thing as a "router driver" that needs to be loaded by the restore process.
    Rather than confuse others who come looking for an answer here, I'm trying
    to clear the field.

BTW - you want to be very careful of accusing me of something as serious as
    cyberstalking in public forum. I really don't react well when someone is
    spreading falsehoods about me.

Paul Adare
    Downtime:  Coffee breaks, lunch, or Friday mentality in the office.

Friday, February 25, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Hello All,

Thank-you for your interest in this thread. I appreciate your input and efforts to solve my problem(s).

The original topic was an application exception that occurred when running the vail RC backup computer recovery key that can be created in WHS.  Though this issue has not been resolved I am not actively pursing a solution for it, but rather devoting my attention to getting restore working using the the CD (iso) version of the PC Client restore utility.  I will be opening a new thread on this topic.

Of course any thoughts on why the usb recovery key throws an exception would still be helpful.

Thanks

-Chris

Friday, February 25, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Hello all,

I am also having trouble with this exact same issue. 

I want to restore an image of a previous backup for my operating system drive. 

Steps to issue:

1. Image a flash drive using the WHS VAIL RC connector software, with the restore iso

2. Install drive in machine I wish to restore

3. Windows splash image is displayed

4. Error (0xc0000025) occurs, cannot proceed.

Any help would be most appreciated. I realize it is beta software, but i'm hoping to get some beta support.

PS. Router drivers? that would be akin to installing drivers for cables. Its too low level for the OS to need to "drive" it. At least thats my understanding. 

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:39 AM
  • On Tue, 31 May 2011 03:39:26 +0000, JAAmon wrote:

Any help would be most appreciated. I realize it is beta software, but i'm hoping to get some beta support.

The beta has been over for quite some time now.

Paul Adare
    This system will self-destruct in five minutes.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:04 AM