none
Exception during preview: failed to detect changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I used SyncToy for several years on my old laptop running XP without any trouble to back up to my university's common share drives over the university network. Now I've got a new HP EliteBook 8440p running Windows 7. I installed SyncToy 2.1, and sometimes it runs without trouble, but sometimes I start getting the error:  "Exception during preview: failed to detect changes". One oddity I've noticed is that SyncToy usually runs okay off a fresh login, but these errors tend to occur if I've been logged in for awhile and then want to run a backup. Since I'd rather not making logging off and back on part of my regular backup procedure, does anyone have any idea what's causing these errors and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Saturday, August 7, 2010 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi -

What kind of files are you sync'ing? This error happens if we find directories are being moved around. It really should be a transient error ( since rarely are users constantly moving directories around). I am guessing ona  fresh login, there is some program that has not yet kicked in that is setting off this behavior - see if you can narrow it down to a particule program that you have running.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:44 PM