none
OK to ask for code reviews?

Question

• Just wondering if it's OK to ask for code reviews on small (< 200 lines) C++ programs. 

Of course, after spending all day slugging through endless lines of code at work, I'm sure code reviews are not the most exciting thing in the world for most/all forum members to do.  However, for those of us still trudging various parts of the learning curve (and staring at the top miles above us), some expert feedback would be worth its weight in gold and a huge confidence builder.  Does asking for code reviews make people cringe? 

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:14 AM

Answers

• No, that's not okay.  The ideal code snippet has up to 25 lines of code.  And a well formulated question to go with it.  200 lines is way too much and just dumping it in an OP will buy you lots of derogatory remarks and a move to off topic if a moderator sees it.  The forums are there to help a colleague stuck on a problem, not to provide a free alternative to everyday pair programming needs.

Do the work to fit your question into the forum formula and you'll be rewarded with several good answers.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by drichird Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:54 AM

All replies

• No, that's not okay.  The ideal code snippet has up to 25 lines of code.  And a well formulated question to go with it.  200 lines is way too much and just dumping it in an OP will buy you lots of derogatory remarks and a move to off topic if a moderator sees it.  The forums are there to help a colleague stuck on a problem, not to provide a free alternative to everyday pair programming needs.

Do the work to fit your question into the forum formula and you'll be rewarded with several good answers.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by drichird Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:54 AM
  • When you're an unemployed starving student asking for homework help, your only alternatives are the free ones!  And your pair programmer is an equally confused student  :-)  ...or an overworked professor fielding questions from 35 confused students! 

But of course like you said with a little work most questions should fit inside 25 lines, or can be broken into subsets.  General programming style and technique might be a little more difficult to see in small snippets, and that's the kind of review I was wondering about, so thanks for making that off-limits clear.  I guess I will have to track down some C++ gurus in my local area and bribe them with pizza, M&M's, and beer. 

Thank you Hans.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:55 PM