none
exchange tasks taking long time to sync to pwa RRS feed

• Question

• Do you have to republish or anything to get the tasks in exchange to sync back to pwa?  I updated tasks in exchange and after about 15 minutes, still no "backward sync".  I then opened a project up and republished and they appeard.  ?

Cletus51

Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:22 PM

Answers

• Please find below my understanding on how Outlook and Project Server integration works.

Once you have the integration successfully set, then:

1. Whenever you create a new task in Project Server and assign it to person for whom exchnage sync is enabled the task will go into his Outlook immediately you publish the project

2. Now you have that task in your Outlook update the task progress from Outlook and save task. When you update the task immediately it doesn't go to Project Server. Either it will go through a nightly pull by Project Server from exchange or if you publish the project before that.

Try this so understand it correctly:

1. Create a task in any of the Project and assign it to a resource

2. Save and Publish the project and you will see that task in Outlook.

3. Now update the progress from Outlook and save.

4. After that Open the same project and publish it again. You will see the task update coming to Project Server.

So it is either a nightly pull or a Project Publish which triggers the task pull from Exchange to Project Server.

I hope this helps.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

• Marked as answer by Portfoliodude Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:21 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hello, you don't have to do anything, the sync will take care of itself.  However, I have never been able to understand the schedule.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:41 PM
  • I waited for over an hour and nothing sync'd.  However, I went into My Tasks, added percentage to another task, saved and sent and as soon as I did, the Exchange task was updated.  I am telling my group that they can work from exchange and just update the tasks from there.  Is that the case?  Are we going to have to publish or change something on pwa for it to sync?  Seems rather curious.  It is like it is waiting on us to do a "refresh" in PWA before it updates. ??

Cletus51

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:52 PM
  • I have not had to change the sync, but what I can tell you is that when a user updates a task, it will sync to PWA for the PM to approve.

hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Please find below my understanding on how Outlook and Project Server integration works.

Once you have the integration successfully set, then:

1. Whenever you create a new task in Project Server and assign it to person for whom exchnage sync is enabled the task will go into his Outlook immediately you publish the project

2. Now you have that task in your Outlook update the task progress from Outlook and save task. When you update the task immediately it doesn't go to Project Server. Either it will go through a nightly pull by Project Server from exchange or if you publish the project before that.

Try this so understand it correctly:

1. Create a task in any of the Project and assign it to a resource

2. Save and Publish the project and you will see that task in Outlook.

3. Now update the progress from Outlook and save.

4. After that Open the same project and publish it again. You will see the task update coming to Project Server.

So it is either a nightly pull or a Project Publish which triggers the task pull from Exchange to Project Server.

I hope this helps.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

• Marked as answer by Portfoliodude Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:21 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 6:29 AM