Connection issue RRS feed

• Question

•    I have searched the forum and cannot find an answer.  As I sit typing this, I have 2 Dell Laptops (Inspiron 6000, XP Home SP2, fresh install, no antivirus/internet suite)(Inspiron 1501, XP Multimedia, existing install) and my server is a Toshiba TE2000.  The 1501 sees the server, have the green house, and it works perfectly has my ISP's Antivirus/Internet Suite on it.  I see all the shared folders, the all-in-one printer is available and works.  The 6000 on the other hand, has grey house, but can see the shared folders, can use the printer, but still grey house.

What is wrong?  Besides the operator.

Everything else is fine.  I am using a DLink br1310 4 port wireless router. The server appears to be running fine, 512 MB ram, 100 GB hd, DVD drive, 10/100 wired nic card, just server running on it.  I haven't installed AVG or any other Antivirus suite on it.

The machine that works, is great, media player, photos, back up, just as it says it should.  Am kinda scared about that too... but really want the other machine to work properly.

Peter Langevin

Saturday, October 13, 2007 10:06 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the info, but I have no Toolkit directory.  I have gotten the server connected again thru network neighbourhood, but cannot connect the console to it.  I can even use the manual backup icon in the directory to do a back up.  I have done a complete new install, using Windows XP Pro with SP 2, all the updates of software and drivers also am using a DLink DWL-G650 wireless card (disabled the onboard IBM one)

And of course if I cancel the install then I loss the directory and all the files in it.

I am so frustrated.

Peter Langevin

Sunday, October 14, 2007 11:11 PM

All replies

• If I had to guess I would say its WHS picking up that your 6000 doesnt have any antivirus on it. The easiest way to confirm that is to go into the WHS Console and click on Network Health to see any messages.

Andrew

Sunday, October 14, 2007 8:30 AM
  •  Peter Langevin wrote:

I have searched the forum and cannot find an answer.  As I sit typing this, I have 2 Dell Laptops (Inspiron 6000, XP Home SP2, fresh install, no antivirus/internet suite)(Inspiron 1501, XP Multimedia, existing install) and my server is a Toshiba TE2000.  The 1501 sees the server, have the green house, and it works perfectly has my ISP's Antivirus/Internet Suite on it.  I see all the shared folders, the all-in-one printer is available and works.  The 6000 on the other hand, has grey house, but can see the shared folders, can use the printer, but still grey house.

What is wrong?  Besides the operator.

Everything else is fine.  I am using a DLink br1310 4 port wireless router. The server appears to be running fine, 512 MB ram, 100 GB hd, DVD drive, 10/100 wired nic card, just server running on it.  I haven't installed AVG or any other Antivirus suite on it.

The machine that works, is great, media player, photos, back up, just as it says it should.  Am kinda scared about that too... but really want the other machine to work properly.

Peter Langevin

My first suggestion would be to uninstall the connector software from the 6000, then install it again (from the software share on the server, not the CD since there was an update for it and your CD may not have the newest version).

Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:08 PM
  • First Thank you for the response... I installed the same suite as on the 1501, now I can ping the WHS but cannot connect to it or even get to the shared folders anymore.  I have gone thru both setup on each machine, and they are the same.

Don't understand it, the server cannot ping the 6000 machine either now.  Argh.

Peter

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:01 PM
  • I am going to try that, but will have to use a disk, since I have lost the connection to the server totally now.

Peter L

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Can you access the server by IP address? If you can, but can't access it by name or through the connector, you can try downloading, installing, and running the WHS Toolkit. That may halp you find the problem. If you can't access it by IP address, you've got a network problem of some sort.
    Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Thanks for the info, but I have no Toolkit directory.  I have gotten the server connected again thru network neighbourhood, but cannot connect the console to it.  I can even use the manual backup icon in the directory to do a back up.  I have done a complete new install, using Windows XP Pro with SP 2, all the updates of software and drivers also am using a DLink DWL-G650 wireless card (disabled the onboard IBM one)

And of course if I cancel the install then I loss the directory and all the files in it.

I am so frustrated.

Peter Langevin

Sunday, October 14, 2007 11:11 PM
  •  Peter Langevin wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I have no Toolkit directory.  I have gotten the server connected again thru network neighbourhood, but cannot connect the console to it.  I can even use the manual backup icon in the directory to do a back up.  I have done a complete new install, using Windows XP Pro with SP 2, all the updates of software and drivers also am using a DLink DWL-G650 wireless card (disabled the onboard IBM one)

I am so frustrated.

Peter Langevin

The toolkit Ken is referring to is installed on your client PC first (and it has some tools for checking connections there).  Then (assuming your connection allows it), you tell it to publish the toolkit to the Add-Ins folder on the server.  From there, you install it like any other add-in.

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:02 AM
  • First thank you for the suggestions and ideas to try.  This is where I am now, it gets even more bizzare, as I am typing I am doing a back up to the server.  I have installed the same Internet suite as on the 1501, lost the shared folders and the connection troubleshooter comes up with all the errors... I am putting the errors here.

The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter tests are now complete.
    Potential issues are displayed below. It is important to follow the recommendations to resolve potential Windows Home Server issues.

Cannot connect to the server transport
    Cannot connect to the server backup
    No DNS server, or DNS server is not reachable
    IP address mismatch between discovery and name resolution
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)
    Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page)
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web services
    Cannot connect to the server internal secure Web services
    Name resolution failed
    Cannot ping server by name
    Windows Home Server Connector troubleshooting article
    ReadMe for this tool
    Monday, October 15, 2007 1:22 AM
  • First thank you for the suggestions and ideas to try.  This is where I am now, it gets even more bizzare, as I am typing I am doing a back up to the server.  I have installed the same Internet suite as on the 1501, lost the shared folders and the connection troubleshooter comes up with all the errors... I am putting the errors here.

The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter tests are now complete.
    Potential issues are displayed below. It is important to follow the recommendations to resolve potential Windows Home Server issues.

Cannot connect to the server transport
    Cannot connect to the server backup
    No DNS server, or DNS server is not reachable
    IP address mismatch between discovery and name resolution
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)
    Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page)
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web services
    Cannot connect to the server internal secure Web services
    Name resolution failed
    Cannot ping server by name
    Windows Home Server Connector troubleshooting article
    ReadMe for this tool

Monday, October 15, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Peter,

Have you tried running 'Discovery.exe' which is in the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server directory?

This will try to set up a connection by searching for the Server.

Colin

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:58 PM