ExternalCopy.msi RRS feed

• Question

• I was just reading through the file "12 - Module - Add Ins.docx" in the course files in "WHSProductSupportTrainingSBReady.zip" which I downloaded from Microsoft and it has an add-in named above. It's a tab to let you backup your folders to an external drive via the Console. Has anyone ever seen this one and does anyone know if it is actually available? Maybe it is on the actual RTM DVD? Can anyone shed any light on this? Cheers Paul
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 11:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I understand that such an add-in was demonstrated at the MVP Summit this past spring. I wasn't an MVP at the time, so I didn't see it.

Can you tell me where you're finding that document? Feel free to drop me an email if you'd rather. My email address is in my profile; just remove the antispam device...
    Wednesday, October 3, 2007 2:55 AM
  • I am looking for this addon as well!!!
    Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:18 AM
  •  

Dileep K from the WHS team indicated he developed two ADD INs in this Post http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1817800&SiteID=50 one of which is the "External Copy"

He promised to make it available - We are waiting . Maybe our newest MVP can get him to give us a look.

Congrats KEN on becomming a MVP.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Congratulations on finding the crown jewel!

External Copy is an addin that lets you copy data from your Windows Home Server on an external hard drive. It's very simple to use, and it copies it to the external drive and keeps the exact same folder structure.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 4:50 AM
  • So how do we all get a copy of this file

Graham

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 6:08 AM
  • Seems like these docs are only available for OEM's, but it can be found here:

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=563378

The link you're looking for on this page is 'System Builder Product Support and Training':  http://oem.microsoft.com/pages/DownloadHelper.aspx?file=/downloads/Worldwide/WindowsHomeServer/WHSProductSupportTrainingSBReady.zip

(I asume these links are only available after logging onto the OEM site, so I see no problem in posting them here, if it is a violation however please remove the links)

Now let us find the actual addin Smile

Cheers,

Danee

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:18 AM
  • Hi Tom,

is there a way to get the Add-In? Also for NON OEM partners ... ;-)

Thanks,

Christoph

Thursday, October 4, 2007 1:18 PM
  • They are not in the zip file that Danee posted either. It's just training information for OEM's.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 1:47 PM
  •  PhillTheChill wrote:

They are not in the zip file that Danee posted either. It's just training information for OEM's.

Guys

Dileep K who developed the 2 ADD IN works on the Windows Home Server Team , I am sure he or someone on the WHS Team is seeing the interest in these ADD INs .

I can only think that he could respond if he wanted to . Maybe they have something planned they did say that the will in

The Future ...

In the future, the Windows Home Server team may be releasing new software through this site that works with Windows Home Server.  Please check back from time to time to see if there is stuff to download and test. 

on the Connet Homepage https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer.

In my opinion I do not think we may see anything untill the RTM 120 Day  Trial is made available.

I hope I am wrong.

Regards

Thursday, October 4, 2007 3:00 PM
  • The add-in is not available at this time. It is currently undergoing development and will not be made available for awhile.
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:02 PM
  •  Tom Ziegmann [MSFT] wrote:
    The add-in is not available at this time. It is currently undergoing development and will not be made available for awhile.

Did this add in end up as the server back up in PP1

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Some of the concepts did, but the add-in itself did not.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:11 PM