Emailing CRM Reports as attachments through Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying many different approaches to this task, but have yet to find a solution.  Basically, I want to allow a user to run a report (i.e. Quote summary), then through a workflow or any other means allow the user the send the Quote to another user as a PDF.  However, I want this to be an attachment in Outlook, not within CRM email.  I have tried many solutions posted online but none that can accomplish this.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• I don't have a code sample, but maybe a Web page would work better than a workflow.  My reasoning is that it is standard behavior for a Web page to trigger an e-mail event using the local user's e-mail client.  Bascially, you could have a button on the CRM application that triggers the Web page, opens the user's Outlook e-mail and attachs the file.

There are several examples on the web of adding buttons to CRM that open Web pages.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:15 PM

All replies

• It would take quite a significant amount (5 to 10 days) of custom development to achieve this solution. But there are quite a few add-ons already available that offer this feature:

Here are a couple of suggestions for you to investigate depending upon your requirements:
    MyCRMGroup - Quote2PDF
    Draycir - Spindle Professional

MSCRM-Addons - AutoMerge

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Time really isn't much of a factor, as I have the time right now before a few client agreements kick in, and this functionality is part of what will be needed for one of them.  Would it be possible to create a plugin to run the report and store it into a file in a temp folder, then call on Outlook to add that as an attachment?  I have seen code that has done similar things in the past.  Also, if possible, I could do this within SSRS as well.  Or perhaps a way to change the saving functionality on an export to include attaching it to an Outlook message?
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:56 PM
    Answerer
  • I have read through that article, however the users need to be able to send the attachment via Outlook, not a CRM activity.  This is due to the fact that not everyone with the client will be users within CRM. 
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Even trying the method used in a33ik's blog, I can't figure out what should be the provider and report name for the properties of the dataflow.  I have tried several combinations.  The local URL of the report is http://george/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fSandbox_MSCRM%2fQuote . 
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:41 PM
  • I don't have a code sample, but maybe a Web page would work better than a workflow.  My reasoning is that it is standard behavior for a Web page to trigger an e-mail event using the local user's e-mail client.  Bascially, you could have a button on the CRM application that triggers the Web page, opens the user's Outlook e-mail and attachs the file.

There are several examples on the web of adding buttons to CRM that open Web pages.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:15 PM