Removing Server from Pool RRS feed

• Question

• We have determined that the Load Balancer we have does not support SIP protocol, so obviously we can not use it to load balance our 2 Enterprise Edition Consolidate OCS servers.  Both servers have already had the software installed and ther requisite services have been activated.  Will OCS allow us to run with both servers activated but with only one actually having the services started?  Since you can see both servers in the OCS Administration console, it knows about both and therefore the 2nd one will have to be removed.  If so will Deactivating the 2nd server be enough or do we have to completely remove it from AD?  Please document the steps we must take?  Thanks.

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:19 PM

Answers

• I double checked with Microsoft and confirmed you can run in this environment with no problem. We have a DNS SRV record like I said above pointing to the one server and it is working fine.  Now when we get a Load Balancer with SIP support then we are ready to go. 

Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:21 AM

All replies

• You'll most likely need to remove the second server from OCS by deactivating it, which should remove it from the configuration in AD, if it completes successfully.  If you have to do any manual cleanup, this blog entry points out where to look in AD for servername references.

Friday, February 1, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Thanks Jeff.  I did a search prior to making my post and read your blog on the clean up process.  Hope I do not have to do this.  I will see if we can get to the server without deactivating the other one first.  If there are issues then we will deactivate the other server.

Friday, February 1, 2008 2:45 PM
  • This is just off the top of my head, but I suppose you could reconfigure your DNS SRV records to use the FQDN of just the one front-end server, and reconfigure and Edge server (if installed) to only use that server as well.  I haven't tried it out, so some other communications may fail if you aren't able to hard-configure everything to the single front-end server and ignore the other.

That said, I'd recommend removing the second node until you require a load balancer and then reinstall.

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  

So far it is working.  I am using a test account and it is working just fine.  Yes that is what we did to the DNS it just points to the single server.  Now I have another problem with the URL configured for Downloading Meeting content and the expansion URL.  See post above. Thanks.
    Friday, February 1, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I double checked with Microsoft and confirmed you can run in this environment with no problem. We have a DNS SRV record like I said above pointing to the one server and it is working fine.  Now when we get a Load Balancer with SIP support then we are ready to go. 

Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Also, instead of changing DNS records you could just move the Pool IP address from the balancer over to the sinfle Front-End server you want to use, then just move it back to the new hardware when it's put in place.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:36 AM