One Care Defrag RRS feed

• Question

• I started tuneup the other night before I went to bed. Defrag was at 3%, I got up the next morning and defrag was at 3%? I slept for 7 Hrs and 15 min. I do not think that that is normal. I have been using command prompt to defrag, but want what I paid for! Can someone tell me how to get the defrag to at least be as problematic as what I have read about and not the difficult thing that it is being run on my computer. I don't mind the part defrags, and the yellow warnings, I do care that it is not doing its job like I hear others at least get.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you can run Defrag manually from the start menu, but it fails to proceed past 3% when running within OneCare's Tune-up, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Glad I'm not the only one although that doesn't make you feel any better! My tuneup only ever makes it to 50% c:/ defrag. I've sent a request to MS but will come here in the meantime to check on any answers people here might have. Offers, anyone?

Your hassle, Horus Ra was one I suffered from within Vista's own defrag software. That was before I'd installed the OneCare on my computer. It all works very well 'cept for the defrag.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:26 PM
  • If Defrag outside of OneCare isn't working for you, OneCare's use of the same Defrag program isn't going to work either. You probably have errors on the disk that need to be repair. Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, select properties, then tools and check for errors.

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Hello, Stephen,

It's been some time since I've been on here. Just to answer you, after my last post, I sought help from the Microsoft Support Team and was introduced to a lovely person who helped me resolve the defrag issue. It actually worked but only the once! 'Fraid I have to resort to using another method to get the drive done but I'm happy with things as they are, now. Thankfully, I don't have HDD problems. (Don't talk that one up. Suffered it with me last computer!)

Kind regards and thanks for your above answer:-)

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:56 PM
  • You're welcome. Is defrag still failing to run or are you referring to the report at the end of tune-up that indicates that defrag wasn't able to fully resolve fragmentation for your drive? If it is the latter, that's normal since OneCare executes defrag in a timed mode. If it is the former, there is still a problem that needs to be resolved.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Hello Stephen

Just got a Live Alert for this message. All is well, thanks. It's the report at the end. My HDD is fine. Actually, I tend to go by instrinct with computers and wondered if the defrag was timed myself. I decided it was and that's why it wouldn't give a full/correct report. It'll also do the same with my 80G USB drive. That one takes seconds to do normally so I decided I was getting a false report.

Nice to have written backup that I sussed it correctly:-)

Kind regards

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:01 PM