Unable to transfer files to server via Dashboard. Windows 8 OS RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding what my friend told me about my pony server or perhaps I'm missing something.  The way I understand is that when I have a physical server sitting right next to me, connected to my wireless router and through that connected to my main system. That all I would need to do to move files from my main computer to the server would be to open the dashboard on my main computer and drag and drop the files from my main to the server.  However, I'm not finding any place under the files and hard drives section of the WHS dashboard where I CAN drag and drop files. When I click on add a folder, the only drives the dashboard is showing me is the two drives in my server tower, not the hard drives in my main rig. I am running Windows 8, all drivers and software are up to date as of 11/15/2012.

As a follow up: I do not log in via the Launchpad. Way my friend set it up there is no log-in information for the Launchpad so I only launch via the Dashboard.  If this does turn out to be the problem, how do I create a log-in for the Launchpad?

Can anyone help out a n00b? Thank you for your time.
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

• For the Launchpad, try "Administrator" and whatever the Server password is set to.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Friday, November 30, 2012 1:32 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Since you can log in via the Dashboard, then you surely must know the server's Administrator password, correct?

To log in via the Launchpad and be able to access shared folders on the server, you must create one or more user accounts on your server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/understanding-user-accounts-2.aspx

Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

• Yes, you misunderstand! The Dashboard is there to manage the Server not do what you want to do. There should be a link created on your Desktop to the shared server folders where you can drag and drop files into the individual shared folders - if not just create a shortcut to "\\<Home Server Name>". You can also get there using Explorer to find the Server on your network.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Ok, so my follow-up question then. Since access via the launchpad was never set up, how do I access it, or set up access?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 7:32 PM
  • For the Launchpad, try "Administrator" and whatever the Server password is set to.

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Ok, so I have tried ever version of Administrator I can think of, as well as the name of the server itself. I have full admin access on both the main computer and the server. How would I go about setting up an account to use on the Launchpad?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Since you can log in via the Dashboard, then you surely must know the server's Administrator password, correct?

To log in via the Launchpad and be able to access shared folders on the server, you must create one or more user accounts on your server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/understanding-user-accounts-2.aspx

Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:56 PM