Tweaks to Improve Outlook Client Performance RRS feed

• Question

• When we were rolling out the CRM 3 Outlook Client, we had issues where the RAM on some machines would climb to +400MB, then drop a little and climb back up again.  This slowed computers and annoyed employees.

We opened a case about this way back and were told to:
    1) Uncheck the syncing of Contacts.
    2) Delete the "Microsoft CRM Address Book" object from the MAPI profile.
    3) Rename/delete this file:  C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\crmabs32.dll
    4) Rename/delete this folder:  %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM\ABP"

We've been blindly following these steps ever since.  Is this still recommended?  Are there any downsides to keep doing this?

I'm looking through the 4-part series on the CRM Team Blog to "Improve Outlook Experience with CRM" (very helpful).  Does what we do negate the need to make any of those synchronization tweaks?

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:58 PM

Answers

• I would recommend that you do a test with the 4.0 client.   I've found that if your PC has 2.0 GB of RAM, the online client runs faster than the 3.0 one.  A few things that we did with 3.0 can also help with 4.0, such as disabling the inital synch to speed up start time.

I would hesitate to delete the crm address book and uncheck the syncing of contacts, especially if there are people who can benefit from these things.  What can really help is to adjust the synch rules to only synch the necessary contacts--for example, if someone has 500 accounts, I don't think most people want to get all those contacts--just set your rules to sync the most important clients.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:10 AM

All replies

• I would recommend that you do a test with the 4.0 client.   I've found that if your PC has 2.0 GB of RAM, the online client runs faster than the 3.0 one.  A few things that we did with 3.0 can also help with 4.0, such as disabling the inital synch to speed up start time.

I would hesitate to delete the crm address book and uncheck the syncing of contacts, especially if there are people who can benefit from these things.  What can really help is to adjust the synch rules to only synch the necessary contacts--for example, if someone has 500 accounts, I don't think most people want to get all those contacts--just set your rules to sync the most important clients.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Thanks.  Is the 4.0 client compatible with 3.0 servers?
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:43 PM
  • no, it's not.  to test you could istall 4.0 trial on a virtual, or sign up for the free trial of crm online

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:41 PM