Adding an External Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy folks!

Got my new server installed (WHS 2011) on a fresh pair of drives, but when I try to add my external HD into the server storage it wont let me.  I clicked on the "help" icon and all it talks about is Internal drives.  Its the same HD from my earlier older 32bit version of WHS, but for some reason I cant get it to add to the storage pool.  Any suggestions?

Ron

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:08 PM

Answers

• All you need to do to "add" your drive to server storage is move some shares to it, or share some content that's already on it. Since Drive Extender is gone, Windows Home Server no longer needs the same level of control over a drive.

However, using an external drive in server storage is still not recommended.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ron VanD Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:53 AM

All replies

• All you need to do to "add" your drive to server storage is move some shares to it, or share some content that's already on it. Since Drive Extender is gone, Windows Home Server no longer needs the same level of control over a drive.

However, using an external drive in server storage is still not recommended.

• Marked as answer by Ron VanD Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Outstanding, thanks Ken!!!

Ron

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:21 AM
  • One more thing for those of you out there that have not already gone through this exercise. 

If you are using external drives as your storage devices, move all of your files to a computer somewhere on your network.  Since Drive Extender (which I think was one of the best features about the original WHS) is not longer a part of the program, as soon as you connect them to your new server it will FORMAT them. 

I also had to go through the process to “mount” my external drives with WHS 2011 to get it to the point where the system would allow me to store files on it.  You may not have to, but better safe than sorry.

Ron

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:27 AM
  • If the drive is already formatted with an NTFS file system, there should be no need to do anything to it. Files that are already there can be shared by creating a new share, or you can move one or more of your pre-existing shares to the drive.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:29 AM