none
Why the page displaying the names of the forums has disappeared ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Just a grumble : the part "We've found questions similar to yours" is ridiculous as it is no related with my question. I am grumbling because never this part helps me to find an immediate solution to my problem.

When the forums were clever , I had a link which displayed all the forums related to SQL Server with a little explanation about the aim of the of each forum and sometime showing where to post "special" questions which were usually answered in specific forums. This information was really clever and useful as it was avoiding to post in a wrong forum.

With the new display , the original posters don't know where to post. Worst , they create the same thread on several forums.See for example :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e12c720a-81c4-4832-a679-e69ec9714e92/how-to-format-and-setup-to-import-ascii-calif-corp-file-by-calif-secretary-of-state#2f119855-96be-4bf8-9827-ab784ca65bd1

6 threads created only because the definition of the forum has been suppressed. For this thread , I have posted a little remark and I changed the type of thread from Question to General Discussion.

On the beginning , I was considering this problem as annoying , now , I am considering it as stupid : it shows that nobody has really tested this point.

I am a tiny moderator , have been MCC during 2 years , I have never been MVP , but I am trying to do my moderator work in the best way to permit to the original posters to get an answer as quickly as possible. Why to have proposed the test of the new version only to MVP or MCC and not to the moderators ? Because of the award or the title which does not make sure that the reply is good or worst not related to the question ...

But now , how I am able to move a thread towards the most appropriate forum when I don't know what are the differences between several possible forums ? I will have to explore each potential forum : what a waste of time I can't use to post a reply , to request more information from the OP or to mark a reply as the good answer. 

A return to the previous version is absolutely necessary with a little asked modification : when a thread has been moved , everybody must know why and from where the thread has been moved.

Even after 5 years as moderator , I have always difficulties with English and I hope that the readers will excuse me for my poor English.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:53 PM

Answers

• When the forums were clever , I had a link which displayed all the forums related to SQL Server with a little explanation about the aim of the of each forum and sometime showing where to post "special" questions which were usually answered in specific forums.

It's still there but rather obscure.   At the top of the Forums tree (on the left, you might have to click on a left triangle under Quick Access to open it) there is a [view all] button.   Click on that to get a category search.   So enter SQL Server and you will see all forums in that category listed.  Additionally you can hover over each forum name to get additional details about its purpose.

BTW there is a separate forum for discussing the new forum features.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=forumsredesign

(I managed to use the new feature I mentioned above to find that!  <w>)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Papy Normand Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:28 AM
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:59 AM

All replies

• When the forums were clever , I had a link which displayed all the forums related to SQL Server with a little explanation about the aim of the of each forum and sometime showing where to post "special" questions which were usually answered in specific forums.

It's still there but rather obscure.   At the top of the Forums tree (on the left, you might have to click on a left triangle under Quick Access to open it) there is a [view all] button.   Click on that to get a category search.   So enter SQL Server and you will see all forums in that category listed.  Additionally you can hover over each forum name to get additional details about its purpose.

BTW there is a separate forum for discussing the new forum features.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=forumsredesign

(I managed to use the new feature I mentioned above to find that!  <w>)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Papy Normand Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:28 AM
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for your quick reply and for the explanations you gave me. I have found again the explanations about each forum : ouf !!!.

But when you wrote "It's still there but rather obscure" , you are absolutely right. And I don't think that a new poster ( creating for the 1st a question on the forum ) would be able to find it quickly enough to avoid to create the same thread on several forums.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:28 AM
  • When I click [view all], the screen alpha's-out.

Yikes.  You can see  "Currently selected forums: 7"

So, when you click on Submit if you don't add anything to your forums being searched, Submit may appear to do nothing.

What other forums would you like to try to search?  Internet Explorer?  Type that into the Search box.  Then click Submit.   Apparently  Expl   is the minimum search expression for that.   Who knew?   Also, your example shows that the different brands gets different searches.  E.g. I was originally in social.microsoft.com to see this forum but could only find Internet Explorer by inserting either  TechNet  or  MSDN  between the social and Microsoft.  Thanks for making me see that!   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Why to have proposed the test of the new version only to MVP or MCC and not to the moderators ? Because of the award or the title which does not make sure that the reply is good or worst not related to the question ...

Papy -- quite a lot of us MVPs were NOT asked to participate in the usability testing of this new version (and we're not too happy about that at all!). I just wanted to set the record straight ...

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:46 PM
  • Papy - I am glad that with Robert's help you were able to find the forum descriptions in the [View all] dialog (as shown below).

I agree that showing this information only in the [View all] dialog view limits its usefulness a *lot*.  We're planning to also present this information as you navigate over Forum names in the Forum list.  This would enable users who are unfamiliar with the purpose of some forums to see the forum description simply by pointing at the forum name.  They would be able to add a forum to their "My Forums" view or subscribe to its RSS feed in the same way.  So it would like something (maybe not exactly) like this:

Would this type of capability help to address your concern about not knowing the purpose of each forum in a category?

Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:24 AM
  • I have seen the "alpha out" transparency effect, and also various layout issues, when I use the forums with IE10 compatibility mode enabled.  I don't have a machine with IE8 handy to test it out, but you might try checking if you have compatibility mode enabled in IE8 and if so disable it to see if the site renders normally.
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:55 AM
  • Doug,

Can you answer a simple question - why do you change forum's interface at all? Did someone ask for it?

I've been using forums for several years. With this re-design you killed my desire to come to these forums. I am sure many other regulars are feeling in a similar way.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:04 AM
  • Bonny,

Take a look at my new article and you're welcome to add to it

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18057.my-impressions-about-forum-s-re-design.aspx

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:07 AM
  • Take a look at my new article and you're welcome to add to it

Thanks Naomi. I read it. I don't have anything to add to it right now (it's bedtime) ... maybe tomorrow.

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:05 AM