the remote connection to the computer timed out. Please connect again RRS feed

• Question

• I can connect to my server through xxx.homeserver.com.  The only thing i can't do is access my desktop computer remotely.  I get the "the remote connection to the computer timed out.  Please connect again." message.  I had this working fine until i switched my desktop computer to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.  I have the remote desktop (less secure) radio button selected.  I get the same message whether I try the connection from work, of from another computer on my network. 

I have ports 80, 443 and 4125 all forwarded with both protocols to the home server.  Like i said, this was all working until i moved from Vista ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate.

I've checked http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and the ports are all open.

Any thoughts?  I also have PP3 installed.

Jim

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:22 PM

All replies

• Can you remote to the pc from inside your network?  Try logging onto the WHS and RDP to the Windows 7 computer.  Do you have security software on the Windows 7 pc that may be blocking the connection?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:42 PM
  • I can remote to the Windows 7 desktop just fine.  The only security software is Microsoft Security Essentials.  AFAIK it doesn't block anything.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:44 PM
  • did you name the computer with the same name when you upgraded it? That shouldn't matter, but with a strange problem like this you never know.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Nope, different name, shows  up as a separate computer in connections, backups and everywhere else.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:13 PM
  • How about Hibernation? If the computer is hibernating or if the NIC is going to sleep it would not be available for RDP.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:36 PM
  • hibernate is set to never.  I can get to the computer via logmein without any issue.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:51 PM
  • After all of this it appears to point to your router or you ISP.  The computer doesn't care whether the connection is coming from inside or out, it uses the same port.  If you can reach it internally you should be able to reach it externally.  Unless some settings changed in your WHS?  Are there other computers on your netowrk that you can reach from external through the WHS?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Unfortunately that's the only one that allows a remote desktop.  The rest are home premium.  The only two things that have changed are the reinstall to Windows 7 Ultimate and the installation of power pack 3.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Unfortunately that's the only one that allows a remote desktop.  The rest are home premium.  The only two things that have changed are the reinstall to Windows 7 Ultimate and the installation of power pack 3.

You could try uninstalling Power Pack 3 beta and see if it works afterwards.  (If it does, please file a bug report on Connect.)
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:58 AM