Configuring Pool in OCS 2007 results in error "Unable to retrieve the WMI setting..." RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to configure a Pool for an OCS 2007 Enterprise Ed installation in a forest that already has a working LCS 2005SP1 deployment and am getting the following error when attempting to configure the Pool from the first OCS 2007 Front End Server.

"Unable to retrieve the WMI setting for the MSFT_SIPPoolConfigSetting from Pool Backend 'AD-GC\OCS' (Error Code: 0x800407D0)

The SQL server is SQL 2005 and it hosts 2 instances (one for LCS and the other for OCS)  LCS is on the default instance and AD-GC1\OCS is the instance for OCS. 

The deployment of the initial OCS Enterprise Pool was completely error free.

I have looked at the WMI setting in question and it doesn't exist when I run WBEMTEST - I get an invalid class error.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Dino.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:25 PM

Answers

• Dino,

Are you trying to create your OCS 2007 Pool from the console of the SQL 2005 Server or from a remote location. If from a remote location then please try this locally on the SQL 2005 server while logged on as a local or domain administrator

To access the MSFT_SIPPoolConfigSetting from wbemtest. Please use the following steps.

1. From the Start / Run please enter wbmtest and click OK
    2. Click on Connect and enter root\cimv2, click on Connect again
    3. Click on the Enum Classes button
    4. Choose Recursive and click on OK
    5. Now scroll and locate MSFTPoolConfigSetting, select it and dbl click on it.
    6. Click in Hide System Properties to view the non system properties

Does you SQL 2005 server have both of these network protocols enabled TCP/IP and Named Pipes - make sure that both of them are enabled. If you would like to analyze this specific issue then please take a network capture while you are trying to create the Pool on the SQL 2005 BE from the OCS FE server and attch the network capture to this post.

Thanks,

Mike Adkins
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:10 PM

All replies

• Do you have any errors in the Event Logs?  Also have you tried to configure the pool from the SQL server?

Try running the create pool wizard again and then try to configure the pool.

Louis H

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Dino,

Are you trying to create your OCS 2007 Pool from the console of the SQL 2005 Server or from a remote location. If from a remote location then please try this locally on the SQL 2005 server while logged on as a local or domain administrator

To access the MSFT_SIPPoolConfigSetting from wbemtest. Please use the following steps.

1. From the Start / Run please enter wbmtest and click OK
    2. Click on Connect and enter root\cimv2, click on Connect again
    3. Click on the Enum Classes button
    4. Choose Recursive and click on OK
    5. Now scroll and locate MSFTPoolConfigSetting, select it and dbl click on it.
    6. Click in Hide System Properties to view the non system properties

Does you SQL 2005 server have both of these network protocols enabled TCP/IP and Named Pipes - make sure that both of them are enabled. If you would like to analyze this specific issue then please take a network capture while you are trying to create the Pool on the SQL 2005 BE from the OCS FE server and attch the network capture to this post.

Thanks,

Mike Adkins
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Thanks for your reply - I later found that you cannot host both LCS and OCS on the same SQL server, even if multiple instances have been used.  I have since used OCS SE to overcome this situation for now.

Dino

Monday, July 9, 2007 5:13 PM
  • Hi Dino,

You can definitely host both LCS and OCS on the same SQL 2005 server; I have it working no problem with LCS and OCS on different instances.

I will say, however, that during the install you need to make sure that the database files (C:\LCS Data\*, etc.) and log files are not set to go to the same spot - which is the default, sadly.

Bottom line is that you can use the same SQL server backend.

Regards,

Matt

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Thanks - I have found MS documentation that suggests this isn't supported for production usage so be careful ;-)

Dino

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:16 PM
  • I faced same problem also ,with SQL 2005 running 2 instance one for LCS 2005 and other for OCS 2007 ,

I just login to the SQL 2005 with Domain admin account and open the SQL Server management Studio ,then go to security select the Domain admin account properties ,then to go to User Mapping and select rtc DB ,in the DB role membership select all except db_denydatareader and db_denydatawriter ,do the same for rtcconfig and rtcdyn.

mdeeb

www.ex-consult.com

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:54 PM