win32/agent.gen!L RRS feed

• Question

• Every time Windows Live OneCare does it's daily virus scan, it finds a win32/agent.gen!L virus and notifies me.  I tell it to remove the virus and it says it did it successfully.  I immediately re-scan my computer and the virus is detected again.  I was wondering if there is some way I can get this behavior to stop.  I am not afraid to remove this virus manually, but I need info on how to do that. 

Also, getting help for Windows Live OneCare is very difficult.  This forum is the only option I could find to ask a question like this.  I would have been happier if I could have gotten to a help email screen to send an email to the software vendor and get a response.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:51 AM

Answers

• Please contact Windows Live Onecare to assist you removing such infection click me, I would presume you are using the 2.0 version -  further more how long has this concern been prompting with you this said infection? Can you by any chance create a support log of what file it is that was determined to be the said w32/agent.gen!L.

Thanks

Sunday, August 12, 2007 1:13 PM

All replies

• Please contact Windows Live Onecare to assist you removing such infection click me, I would presume you are using the 2.0 version -  further more how long has this concern been prompting with you this said infection? Can you by any chance create a support log of what file it is that was determined to be the said w32/agent.gen!L.

Thanks

Sunday, August 12, 2007 1:13 PM
  • M6896

I went to the Instructions listed by MILO and I did not get anywhere at all.  I am not that good with computers and was hoping the place where MILO suggested would have live support help but it directs you to what seems to me to be a FAQ Dbase where you type in a question (not too long or it doesn't understand) and it will respond back.  I typed in the name of the Virus and nothing came up.  Although it does have other viruses listed there.

This is what I did and it seemed to work.

I noticed that I only received the notice of the virus when I got on line and then when OneCare tried to remove it it kept stopping.  So I turned off the computer, disconnected the internet, turned the computer back on and ran a full viurs scan.  It does take a while but it found the virus:  trojan:Win32/Agent.gen!L and removed it sucessfully.

Good luck to you.

J.

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:56 PM
  • Jayleene - if you are using the 2.0 beta of OneCare, support is via email only. You can reach support from the link provided by Milo by also clicking "get more help" in the lower right of the help page.

I'm glad to read that you were able to rid yourself of the threat.

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:27 AM
  •  

Thanks Steve~

I was able to get rid of it but it has come back.  I am thinking it is from my kids when they go to myspace.  Does that seem right to you or do you think I just did not get rid of it the first time?  After I had it removed I was fine all day, my kids were on it after me to go on MySpace and this morning here it is again.

Jayleene

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:27 PM
  •  

You have to get rid of it in save mode, otherwise it will be back everytime you reboot your pc. To get your pc in save mode, reboot and while starting hit the F8 Key. On the startup menu then choose save mode. Then run your antivirus and let it delete the file. Then reboot your pc as u do usually. Otherwise this thing wont leave your pc. Those recreate themself again as soon as you reboot.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Jayleene, it is possible that it was not completely removed on the first go. Much of this malware will hide itself in such a way that it replicates and reappears even after the infected file(s) have been cleaned. The answer below your post is correct in that sometimes it requires running a scan in safe mode to remove. If you are using OneCare, this post explains how to start OneCare in Safe mode - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1215336&SiteID=2

And, as Milo and I stated above, OneCare support can help with removal.

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I have the same on one of my laptops, careone can do nothing about it, it will try to remove it but cannot scan files or do anything and i cannot get any instructions how to remove it manually.....

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:21 PM
  •  Val25 wrote:

I have the same on one of my laptops, careone can do nothing about it, it will try to remove it but cannot scan files or do anything and i cannot get any instructions how to remove it manually.....

You've posted to a thread for the 2.0 beta version of OneCare. If you are indeed using 2.0, then contact support for help with removal - 

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

If you are using the released 1.6 version for subscribers, support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:06 PM