none
Running the cluster manager from a different domain

General discussion

• Hi,

I'm trying to run the cluster manager application from my machine and connect to a remote head node. The problem is that my machine is not a part of the domain, and the cluster manager application doesn't ask me for username and password when connecting and always fails to connect due to permissions.

I've tried using Windows 7's credentials manager, but it seems the cluster manager application doesn't use it and always try to connect to the remove machine with my currently logged in user.

Is there any way to pass my head node's admin credentials to the cluster manager application?

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question. Senior Consultant on WCF, ASP.NET, Siverlight, and Entity Framework. Author of Microsoft's Official WCF 4 Course. Co-author of the Microsoft HPC/Azure burst whitepaper.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:44 PM

All replies

• Is the account that you are logged in with on your remote machine also a user (in the HPC Users Security Group) on the Head Node of the cluster?

Instead of running the cluster manager from your machine you could also remote desktop into the remote head node

Saturday, May 07, 2011 5:56 AM
  • I'm currently using RDP to connect to the head node, but I was hoping I could use the cluster manager from my machine (RDP is a bit slow)
    Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question. Senior Consultant on WCF, ASP.NET, Siverlight, and Entity Framework. Author of Microsoft's Official WCF 4 Course. Co-author of the Microsoft HPC/Azure burst whitepaper.
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 6:56 AM
  • 1) is there any cross domain trust between the client machine and the head node?

2) are you able to add the user of the client machine to the HPC Users or Administrators group on the Head Node?

or could you use a "run as" option when starting the Client?
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:39 AM
  • 1) my machine is not part of a domain.

2) I cannot add a remote user not part of a domain to the admin.

basically, the problem is:

1. The cluster manager application doesn't have a place to enter a custom username+password - it always uses the current logged in user.

2. It seems that for some reason the cluster manager application doesn't use the credentials i've specified in the credentials manager for the headnode's server.

I'm hoping that the SP2 web access will solve all my problems...

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:20 AM
  • did some more validation and it looks like without domain trust there isn't a way to do this - unless you could VPN your client machine into the same network / domain as the head node and then launch the client.  But that could still not work as the credential validation is done on the local machine.

agreed - hopefully web access will fix your problems.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:43 PM