Vail+iPad+Air Video+MCE Recorded TV =Internet Streaming RRS feed

All replies

• Sort of on topic, I'd say, though you did need to install iTunes and other software on your server. How will that work in a traditional server environment, by the way, with nobody logged in?

Anyway, very cool, and thanks for the report!

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 9:33 PM
  • I actually logged on to the server as Administrator using an RDP client on the
    iPad and did the install of the software from there.

WHS is not only about backup and access to files via a PC to me. It needs to be
    a media server to all my devices, even over the Internet. If I have to install
    other software to get what I want, then that is what I will do.

Charlie R is one of the geekiest server guys here and I know HE cares about Tivo
    desktop...

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:33:57 +0000, Ken Warren wrote:

>Sort of on topic, I'd say, though you did need to install iTunes and other software on your server. How will that work in a traditional server environment, by the way, with nobody logged in?
    >
    >Anyway, very cool, and thanks for the report!

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Sunday, June 6, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Yes, but what happens when you log out of the desktop, so nobody is logged in at all? Does streaming still work?
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 12:38 PM
  • there is no user logged on at the desktop.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 12:38:46 +0000, Ken Warren wrote:

>Yes, but what happens when you log out of the desktop, so nobody is logged in at all? Does streaming still work?
    >I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Barb Bowman

Monday, June 7, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Cool. I'm going to re-read that blog post and probably give it a try. I'm not so interested in the video, but I have a metric buttload of Apple Lossless audio, and Vail doesn't have a codec for it. It's in the same container Apple delivers AAC audio in, but, oh well...
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:19 PM
  • I have found that sometimes I have to stop and restart the Bonjour service...

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:19:13 +0000, Ken Warren wrote:

>Cool. I'm going to re-read that blog post and probably give it a try. I'm not so interested in the video, but I have a metric buttload of Apple Lossless audio, and Vail doesn't have a codec for it. It's in the same container Apple delivers AAC audio in, but, oh well...

Barb Bowman

Monday, June 7, 2010 12:50 PM
  • <sigh> Should have realized: this is only useful for the Apple iPad and iPhone. Back to trying to convince Microsoft to supply direct support for Apple Lossless, user-installable codecs, etc.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:12 PM
  • well actually, that was my goal, to stream to the iPad, Recorded TV in
    particular. the iPad does not now and probably will never support Silverlight.

besides the native iPad apps, I've found away to have 95% Windows functionality
    with the iPad via RDP. I can RDP in over WiFi or 3G and run Windows apps on a
    couple of computers, with the exception of media... Air Video solves that. And,
    no, I can't multi task, but for a few hours away from home, the iPad is what I
    now take with me instead of my netbook.

I have two goals, to serve Media to all computers and devices within my home and
    outside my home. The second is not to have an extender/360 or PC connected to
    every TV.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:12:42 +0000, Ken Warren wrote:

><sigh> Should have realized: this is only useful for the Apple iPad and iPhone. Back to trying to convince Microsoft to supply direct support for Apple Lossless, user-installable codecs, etc.

Barb Bowman

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Can I do the same thing with the shared music folder on Vail?  I have an iPad wifi.  (Sorry:  I think the name of the app aptly answers my question.  Great info, though, Barb.)
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:35 AM
  • if you don't sync your music with your iPad, there are some other streaming
    solutions. there are some other server type apps that u can probably install on
    Vail to stream to the iPad...

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 00:35:53 +0000, palavering wrote:

>Can I do the same thing with the shared music folder on Vail? I have an iPad wifi. (Sorry: I think the name of the app aptly answers my question. Great info, though, Barb.)

Barb Bowman

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:03 AM