none
Console has stopped working in Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• The Console stopped working last night after I had transferred approx. 300Gb of photos to the server. The folder is set for duplication and before the Console stopped working I could see this was happening on the storage page.

From the error messages etc. it seems that the problem is that the Virtual Disk Service is not running (which means the Windows Home Server Storage Manager won't start and the Console can't run). I've located the VDS.EXE in System32 but if I attempt to run it I get a 'Cabinet.dll' not found error message.

Is there any way to resolve this problem without a re-installation?

Incidentally, I only built the server three days ago and I expected a little more reliablity than this...

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:03 AM

All replies

• Probably there's a reinstallation in your future, but have you checked all the drives in your server for errors?

Also, regarding reliability, Windows Home Server isn't actually designed to be installed by an end user; it's intended for installation by an OEM such as HP, or a system builder who has presumably tested thoroughly on the platform he's delivering to his customers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Re-installed WHS. Console reports all drives healthy and the chkdsk batch file (thanks for the link Ken) finds no errors. At least all my data is still there.

Update:

Since the re-install I've had no problems. Originally I installed the whole driver pack for the motherboard but second time around I just loaded what was specifically required like the ethernet drivers. Anyway, only time will tell if that was the cause.

I've installed two more drives taking the total to 4 x 500Gb. As a photographer space tends to get used up quite quickly when each photo is 32Mb!

Regarding performance I can say that after testing file transfers to and from the WHS box and comparing the same file transfers to my LaCie NAS drive, the WHS box is 5 times faster! And both show as gigabit ethernet on the switch.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:25 PM