Battery UPS Support RRS feed

• Question

• Our WHS is located in our family room entertainment center cabinet along with our cable modem and wireless router.  I have a APC Back-UPS RS/XS 1500 providing several hours of backup power for all the network gear and WHS.  This is important in extreme weather prone S.Florida.  My question...does WHS support UPS notification/shutdown via USB cable?  I want to WHS to automatically shutdown after the battery goes below a certain power level.  Are their any WHS Add-ins related to UPS?  Any recommendations/suggestions?  Thanks

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:26 PM

Answers

• Folks, most UPS units that connect via a USB cable don't need any software at all installed. They are detected by the operating system as batteries, a la your laptop, so you get access to the Alarms tab of the Power Options control panel applet.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:38 PM

All replies

• It shoud work but you'll need to MSTSC or connect a monitor to install anyone without add-in software.  I am not aware of any UPS that is sold with a power off add-in.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:34 PM
  • Well let me ask, what happens to WHS if it is shutdown unexpectedly?  When power is restored, will WHS go through some sort of internal recovery/check (ie chkdsk)?
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Have you tried plugging the UPS into your WHS and seeing what happens?

I hooked up my APC UPS (BackUPS 500 I think) into the Home Server and it recognized it without any installation of third party software. I had to use Remote Desktop to connect into the Home Server and adjust the shutdown settings via the "Power" Control Panel similar to a laptop.

That said, I have not actually tested if the server really shuts down (I should do that tonight)...

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:28 PM
  • As one of the previous posters mentioned, you should open up Power Options in the Control Panel and click on the UPS tab. I configured it and successfully tested it to work with a four year old Blackout Buster to shutdown the system after a few minutes. No additional applications or drivers were required. I don't know anything about your UPS, but I would expect Windows to do a better job of auto-configuring it than it did mine.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:44 PM
  • I have an APC battery backup directly connected to my WHS via USB cable.  I just used the Remote Desktop to install the APC PowerChute Personal Edition for XP on the Server and it works like a champ.   Shuts down my server properly with no issues.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 6:41 PM
  • You should be able to install the powerchute client to give you the control panel applet to allow for Actions on power failure.

You can do things like stay about 60 minutes on battery then power down gracefully.

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Folks, most UPS units that connect via a USB cable don't need any software at all installed. They are detected by the operating system as batteries, a la your laptop, so you get access to the Alarms tab of the Power Options control panel applet.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I finally located and plugged in the APC RJ-45 to USB Cable.  Works exactly as you suggested it would without having to install any additional driver/software.  I've disabled the display notification options and set WHS to shutdown on critical battery level.  However, I do want family members to be aware of upcoming WHS shutdown.  It would be ideal if the WHS Connector Icon on each desktop could relay/display a custom server message.  Is there anything built-in to do that..for example would the Health change when the battery got to critical level?

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 5:17 PM
  • John, I honestly don't see why you think there's a need for a warning that the server is about to shut down in that situation. Smile

After all, if the server is on battery power, presumably you've had a power failure and everyone already knows the power is out. Most likely all your desktop machines are already down...
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 5:42 PM
  • First, I just want to know its possible as I'm looking to WHS for a host of other enhancements.  My wife is running her business from her laptop at home.  I want her to be aware of the situation as soon as possible.  We use WHS mostly as a fileserver and not just for machine backups, so its wise to finish/save any documents that might be edited.  So let me re-state my question.  Is it possible to have custom alerts that can be displayed by the desktop WHS Health Monitor/Icon?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:12 AM
  • She will know about the situation as soon as the lights go out. Smile

As for custom notifications, yes you can generate them, per the Windows Home Server SDK. But I don't know if the system tray app will respond to/display them, not having tried it myself...

Questions about development topics should be posted in the Developers forum, in their own topics.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:40 PM
  •  

Thanks Ken, I'll look into the SDK.  Btw, you must live in Seattle or abouts because here in South Florida we get more day light than you can bargain for.  If anything, the lack of air-conditioning might tip her off. 
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:21 PM