Migration from GoldMine 6.7 using Scribe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm using  Scribe to migrate from GoldMine 6.7 to CRm 4.0 and seem to get an arror during the contact to Accounts part. The migration runs (for about 13 hours - lots of records!) then falls over with a 'fatal' error. The message in the log is ' Execution terminated - failure fetching source row'. It doesn't seem to tell me which row or record it failed on.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:56 AM

Answers

• Not sure of the issue specifically, but if there is a way to break your migration into smaller parts, you'll have a better chance of completing it / if it fails you'll find the issue.

Can you tweak your source query to only pull in the accounts starting with 'A*' first, etc? The failure fetching issue is possibly a timeout or some sort of bad/unexpected/missing data in your source.
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Scott's suggestion is a good one and will probably fix the issue or at least allow you to identify the record causing the problem. 

You might already be aware of this but you can also check the report in the Scribe Workbench as it may give you more information about the error.  In the workbench, take a look under Reports, Transaction Errors.  You can also take a look at the Execution Log under Reports.

This could simply be an interruption in service given the amount of data you have and the length of time it is taking for the migration to complete.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:55 PM

All replies

• Not sure of the issue specifically, but if there is a way to break your migration into smaller parts, you'll have a better chance of completing it / if it fails you'll find the issue.

Can you tweak your source query to only pull in the accounts starting with 'A*' first, etc? The failure fetching issue is possibly a timeout or some sort of bad/unexpected/missing data in your source.
    Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Hi Scott,
    Yeah I had thought of that, as I suppose it would at least narrow it down. There is about 70,000 records to migrate, so I was trying to do it all in one hit, but It's probably not a bad idea to break it down.

I'll give it a go.

Rob
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Hi
    If I was you maybe 1 of the 2
    Use the Data Migration Wizard
    Export data from Goldmine and import to CRM.
    Or Uses SSIS Package to import the data.
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:46 PM
  • I think you'll either get it all done without errors, or at least be able to better isolate the error.

Good luck and let me hear how it goes.

Scott.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Scott's suggestion is a good one and will probably fix the issue or at least allow you to identify the record causing the problem. 

You might already be aware of this but you can also check the report in the Scribe Workbench as it may give you more information about the error.  In the workbench, take a look under Reports, Transaction Errors.  You can also take a look at the Execution Log under Reports.

This could simply be an interruption in service given the amount of data you have and the length of time it is taking for the migration to complete.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I was facing the same error.  Although my setup is somewhat different, I hope this might help others.

I am migrating from a tab-del text file into CRM.  Issue was caused by how one field in the text file was set up in the ODBC connection.  The connection manager set the field as Numeric.  Which is true for about 99% of the values.  But there were a few values with text.  So when Scribe went to get the value, it failed. 

Fix:  Go to the ODBC setup for the source file.  Define the fields.  Make sure filed causing the error is set to Varchar. 

Once I fixed that, things ran in very smoothly.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:42 PM