HomePoint (WSS + Windows Home Server) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I work with SharePoint every day so it was one of the first things that came to my mind when I heard about Windows Home Server.  I’ve read a few posts that talked about installing WSS on top of WHS and decided to try it myself - here are a few thoughts:

• Windows SharePoint Services V3 does install on WHS.  I installed the .NET Framework 3.0 and then installed using the basic installation.  I created a new site with a host header of homepoint, leaving the default web app alone (it doesn’t like to play with SharePoint)
    • I then added entries to the hosts file on each of my 3 computers to point http://homepoint to the WHS server (127.0.0.1 on the WHS server).  This is easy for me since I also set my WHS server to have a static IP.  What would really be nice is if WHS did this for you and kept the entries up to date; that way they would stay up-to-date even if your WHS server changed IP addresses.
    • The out of the box WSS install obviously isn’t very tuned for family use but it wouldn’t take much to do so.  A custom theme?  A few list templates (grocery list, family calendar, etc….) the sky is the limit.
    • While it is possible to make your site available via the internet, I don’t think it’d be a good idea for security/complexity reasons.  If you want to try it though, configure your router to forward requests for port 80 to your WHS server.  You’ll also have to change the scope of the firewall exception for port 80 on your WHS server to “Any computer,” not just “My network (subnet) only” which is the default.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:29 AM

All replies

• That's a nice thought. Maybe writing plugins for the SharePoint, like Calendars, shopping lists for the family ....

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 7:21 AM
  • I was looking at this just an hour ago.  I agree that putting a home intranet on WHS would be a logical application.  Shared, calendar, lists, and a basic document library would add much more than users will get with an extra set of shared folders.  I also think that  remote access to a "home portal" would be more useful than the remote access to the individual desktops that is being touted as a selling point for WHS.

The system requirements for WSS 3.0 though, are considerably higher than those for WHS and it's hard to believe that upping them just to get  WSS would be justified. 

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:51 PM
  • I installed WSS 3 on my WHS box (Duron 2400, 1Gig Ram, 200 Gig drive) as port 81, setup port forwarding on my router and everything is running quite well.  In the 'links' section of WSS3 I added a link to the WHS web page to access it via the desktop or other computers on the network.

I don't think this hardware is even close to what the average box would have today for not much money.

Actually, I think this is a workable solution for most families with a little easier setup.

Access the shopping list, family calendar from the office.  Look at the family address book to grab a number....  Heck, with a properly setup WSS site you could email a message to add something.  What would be even better would be synchronizing the picture libraries with the actual shard folders.  And viewing documents via the document libraries capabilities linked to the shared folders would be cool.

But fo rme, I like the idea of being able to access my computer desktop via the WSS portal.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 1:29 AM
  • I installed WSS 3 on my WHS box too today and I agree that with some tailoring, it could be a nice home solution.   The picture libraries are much more usable than the shared photo folders and I suspect the document libraries will be too.

How though, do you backup your web-site? 

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:39 AM
  • Were you able to view your "PICTURES" remotely.

I am unable to see Thumbnails of my pictures when accessing sharepoint remotely.

As to backing up your WSS website Sharepoint 3.0 Central Administration has a back up website function.Look under the "Operations" tab.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:58 AM
  • Have you made this a suggestion on the connect web site?
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:19 AM
  • WSS as part of WHS is perhaps the single most popular suggestion on Connect. See e.g. this feedback. Note that voting on closed items is still useful; Microsoft will likely use these votes to help determine the direction the market would like to see WHS move in in the future.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:24 AM
  •  Athena wrote:

I installed WSS 3 on my WHS box too today and I agree that with some tailoring, it could be a nice home solution.   The picture libraries are much more usable than the shared photo folders and I suspect the document libraries will be too.

How though, do you backup your web-site? 

Athena, What did you use for a picture Gallery? was it one of the stock webparts, Document Lib or is it a 3rd party solution?

Rex

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:19 PM
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:
    What did you use for a picture Gallery? was it one of the stock webparts, Document Lib or is it a 3rd party solution?

It's a built-in web part: Picture Library.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 12:41 AM
  •  Athena wrote:
     Rex Geissinger wrote:
    What did you use for a picture Gallery? was it one of the stock webparts, Document Lib or is it a 3rd party solution?

It's a built-in web part: Picture Library.

Thanks Athena, I was looking for it under web parts and couldnt find it but I got it now

Rex

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:40 AM