WHS Premium RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed Vail and was interested to see that several of the setup screens had "Windows Home Sever Premium" text does this imply there will be a "Standard" as well i wonder

two teir product perhaps?

2 pata, 4 sata, 4.4tb storage, 2gig ram - home bake system
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:38 AM

Answers

• There is only one version of Vail,  The naming changes are all coming in for the final release of Vail, and are still TBD.  Consider this a legacy thing.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:2d57944e-29c4-4a48-9738-7604ee63af3e...
    I think it's legacy text from when there might have been plans for more than one SKU of Vail. As far as I know, there will be only one version of Vail at this point.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:39 PM

All replies

• I think it's legacy text from when there might have been plans for more than one SKU of Vail. As far as I know, there will be only one version of Vail at this point.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:29 PM
  • There is only one version of Vail,  The naming changes are all coming in for the final release of Vail, and are still TBD.  Consider this a legacy thing.

Sean

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:2d57944e-29c4-4a48-9738-7604ee63af3e...
    I think it's legacy text from when there might have been plans for more than one SKU of Vail. As far as I know, there will be only one version of Vail at this point.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I have twice downloaded V2 from the msft site and burned ISOs. The downloads are indeed long, over 3.5g. so I presume they are not the old v1. Have installed each of them on a HB used previously for V1 and other test uses. 2.2 gHz 64 bit ADM, 2 gig memory, ASUS mobo, it works fine. These separate installs both report formatting the 160Meg HD, presumeably overwriting the old v1.

However, both these installations look all the world like V1, complete with the "2003" and a v1 build number clues. And the finished and running result is just like the V1 I have used for 3 yrs.

Could the wrong beta be on the MSFT site, or is the problem here. (If it's here, I don't know what it is.)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:53 AM
  • I have twice downloaded V2 from the msft site and burned ISOs. The downloads are indeed long, over 3.5g. so I presume they are not the old v1. Have installed each of them on a HB used previously for V1 and other test uses. 2.2 gHz 64 bit ADM, 2 gig memory, ASUS mobo, it works fine. These separate installs both report formatting the 160Meg HD, presumeably overwriting the old v1.

However, both these installations look all the world like V1, complete with the "2003" and a v1 build number clues. And the finished and running result is just like the V1 I have used for 3 yrs.

Could the wrong beta be on the MSFT site, or is the problem here. (If it's here, I don't know what it is.)

3.5 GB is about right for Vail (v1 iso is only around 800-900 MB).  You might be burning the wrong image.  But, just to make sure, you should remove all partitions from the drive you're trying to install Vail on before installing it.
    • Proposed as answer by DALIEN Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Yep, wrong ISO. {sigh}. Been too long since and was concentrating on the ISO software instead of the source. Everybody's got an excuse...   TNX.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:51 AM
  • So, Vail looks better than WHS v1 ?  ;o)

"DALIEN" wrote in message news:54ddcab3-e808-496d-8fe3-6ef8b4ff06b7...
    Yep, wrong ISO. {sigh}. Been too long since and was concentrating on the ISO software instead of the source. Everybody's got an excuse...   TNX.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:46 PM
  • V2 looks far better than V1.  The V2 install was flawless. even having the right mobo drivers. The screen looks inviting and encouraging. My congrats to the guys in charge of the install software!

Have tried to crash it deliberately without success so far. But need to study the prelim instructions to see which features are supposed to work at this time and which not yet.

Love the full backup to ext hd feature but have not yet found a simple way to retrieve a single file from either the server or it's backup HD. Either it's not ready or has a different approach than the simple one in V1.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Thanks DALIEN,  let us know if you can’t find the restore UI (that’s part of the test too) and where you think it should be. 

Sean

"DALIEN" wrote in message news:83307bd5-7e99-4b12-b034-e600efe2138d...

V2 looks far better than V1.  The V2 install was flawless. even having the right mobo drivers. The screen looks inviting and encouraging. My congrats to the guys in charge of the install software!

Have tried to crash it deliberately without success so far. But need to study the prelim instructions to see which features are supposed to work at this time and which not yet.

Love the full backup to ext hd feature but have not yet found a simple way to retrieve a single file from either the server or it's backup HD. Either it's not ready or has a different approach than the simple one in V1.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:59 PM

Sean

Shame,  :o(

I was hoping 'Premium' had some extra media handling, like the ' Home Premium' versions of Vista and Windows 7.

Friday, April 30, 2010 12:52 AM