Do you like the new design / functionality 2 RRS feed

All replies

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:13 PM

This new design is really bad.  It feels like it's been design with touch based interaction in mind but I can't find anything and it's really hard to read the links (if I manage to find the links).  Please change it back to how it was, pleeeeeaase.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:27 PM

Its really dull, looking like as css is not loaded properly. Even I find it confusing. Previous version was much better for usability and accessibility.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:31 PM

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:38 PM

I don't like too.

Home page isn't good, not able to read it clearly, no not much difference between title and others things.

Thanks & Regards
    Syed Amjad Sr. Silverlight/WPF Developer,
    yahoo : syedamjad6736@yahoo.com, skype : syedamjad.0786.
    Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:45 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:09 PM

Without the "Mark All As Read" feature, it is useless to me.  The old format should be brought back or made a user option.

Regards.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:37 PM

No.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:37 PM

Lately, the UX team at MSFT seems to be boarded by a gang of kids hoping to spread panic & despair among all users.

Understanding Windows is like understanding women.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:49 PM
  • I guess this is the thread for people who didn't vote in the first that became too long, right? Because I already voted - 1.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Right.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:56 PM
  • No -1

not user friendly

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:04 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:40 PM

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:21 PM
  • -1. I agree with everyone who wants "Unread" and "Mark all read". How do you use your email? Do you read all the messages in hopes of finding any new arrivals? Or do you READ THE UNREAD MESSAGES AS THEY ARRIVE? Sorting by Unanswered is useless to anyone but perhaps forum moderators. Ditto Answered.

I don't care about the color/picture/layout design of the UI. I'm not qualified to judge that. The operational characteristics suck.

Paul T.

Windows Embedded MVP

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:35 PM

I liked having my avatar and current point count displayed in the side bar. Was simple to see if I was logged in or not, if people had liked my answers, and quick links to go back to threads I was visiting earlier.

"Metro" is not a good design philosophy, I hoped that the problems with windows 8 made that clear...
    • Edited by Shadowfoxish Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:10 PM added metro blurb
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:09 PM

This new design blows chunks.  Seriously, who came up with this design???

LDC

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:34 PM

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:45 PM

Having everything as floating text makes it impossible to distinguish the UI from the content.  I'm trying really hard to get used to the new style, but I am just not getting how the design philosophy adds any value since it seems to make it difficult to read and use.

Where the heck did "My Forums Threads" go?  That is the only view I ever used.  Seriously, I have to go open each of the 30 forums I follow if I want to see new posts???

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:50 PM

This sums it up well:

"

"

Renee Culver

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

• Edited by Renee Culver Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:31 PM fuck you
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:03 PM

not user friendly. some where in my mind feeling like it is tough.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Interesting enough - nobody votes +1, and most voters are frequent participiants. Maybe some of them now "have been"...

I still wonder how MS decided to yet implement this design. Who was asked? Who gave feedback? Any official info about that? (I haven't found any...)

Martin

And - of course - my coke bottle sports car

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:31 PM
  • If you put feedback on this thread, be sure to also put it on the official thread being actively monitored by the TechNet Forums product managers:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/51f9d2d1-d0ed-424e-b3a6-b7a88d938534/forums-redesign

And if you are an MCC or an MVP, be sure to call that out since you are the ones who participate the most in the community. 

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:34 PM added more frustration
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Feedback? You must be kidding. Feedback implies caring about users.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:34 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Martin, 

as i have read only MVP's had gotten an invitation to check the new ui. See this thread :"Beta ?" it is on the fourth page in this forum. Sorry, i can't post the link with my tablet.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:44 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 7:03 AM

Change the usecolors  !!!

Thanks ! Jayawardhane

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:09 AM
  • The Stats right now of both threads are:

pro new design/functionality: 4 ( representing 5,355 Points )

contra new design/functionality : 96 ( representing 1,249,216 Points )

I hope i have counted right.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:54 AM
  • as i have read only MVP's had gotten an invitation to check the new ui.

I must admit I got one - dam'it... Overlooked it in the tons of mails, and it's only 4 lines in a mail of 3 pages :(

If anybody else wants to double check: Review the MVP weekly - in germany dated may, 31.

Martin

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:47 AM
  • as i have read only MVP's had gotten an invitation to check the new ui. See this thread :"Beta ?" it is on the fourth page in this forum. Sorry, i can't post the link with my tablet.

Yes, thats right, but only LOOKING, not give feedback. We can give feedback, but no one care about this.

Winfried

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:03 AM

EDIT: Now i see, here in this thread the hole wide screen will used, but the font size is not enough.

Winfried

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:03 AM

Miss the quick access menu on the right badly.  I do not remember how it looked like exactly. I think it had something like "My forums" which I used most frequently.

Hong

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:49 AM

Thanks, Andrew

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Hong,

here it is ;-)

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Andrew,

you have already voted in the first part. I won`t count this.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Thank you, Hannes.

Yes, those My* was the most frequently used feature for me. It is like contents of my forum notebook.

Hong

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:15 PM
  • I liked having my avatar and current point count displayed in the side bar. Was simple to see if I was logged in or not, if people had liked my answers, and quick links to go back to threads I was visiting earlier.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Here's an example of a topic list in the old forum layout. Why did we not keep it like this?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/300462

- bilde2910

Developer for Varden Development

If a post is helpful to you or solves a problem, remember to mark it as answer, propose it as answer or vote up. It helps everyone to identify valuable replies.

• Edited by bilde2910 Friday, June 21, 2013 4:25 PM Image was large.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 4:24 PM

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:05 PM

Easier to navigate between forums, that's good. But the rest, no.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:56 PM

The new design is less readable and clear than the old one. It takes a lot more time to select the relevant data.

I agree with NPherson and others regarding the "My Forums" thread. Its a grind without it!

I agree with Barrakoda with respect to the avatar and name displayed in the side bar. At least they should be placed again at the top of a post, otherwise you have to scroll through to the end of each post just to see who wrote it.

And for the colors. Jayawardhane is absolutely right. In comparison with those new pastel colored icons the old green, orange and grey icons (were the proposed answers grey?), especially the green one, were so much more eye-catching, even if they were much smaller. The human eye is rather receptible for complimentary colors, isn't it.

And it seems, the information about who marked sth as answer is no longer available. Maybe, it's there, but I've not found it yet. And I'm missing the 'views' and 'replies' counts in their own columns on the right.

During boring meetings I tend to scroll through the latest posts on my smartphone, just to see, if there is something new and interesting to learn. The new design, even if it seems apparently focused on touchscreen devices, doesn't make it easier. On the contrary those great symbols on the left shrink the remaining room for the posted text drastically. I either need a bigger smartphone or I'm going to give more attention to those boring meetings in the future.

But maybe, I'm simply not open-minded enough!?

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:12 PM

Ya gotta love it. I tried to respond with just -1 as requested, and got the error message that the body has to have at least 4 characters.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:19 PM

MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: Let's go, use GPO!

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:21 PM
  • well, as an MVP, all I have to say is:

what happened to the Forums I loved participating in day after day?

been busy on a software upgrade at work for the last couple of months, sign on and OK, they changed it, no big deal. Starting looking around for the VB forums - where are they? Can't find one dedicated to that. In fact having a hard time finding any Forum I would be able to help in. My Forums, My Threads and all the other useful tools - poof.

Can I give a -2, please?

Edit: OK finally was able to get to the VB Forum. Not very easy to see things such as when the last reply was, by who.

can't say I'm impressed with the new design and the consolidation, I guess, of the Forums right now.

“This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.”

• Edited by jwavila Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:04 AM edit
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:49 AM
  • Take a look at this article where I put my impressions about this new design

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18057.my-impressions-about-forum-s-re-design.aspx

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:50 AM

Horrible

Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:38 AM

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2013 12:57 PM

Aris Lesmana | IT Technical Trainer | http://arhiez.net
    MVP Profile | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter

Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:08 PM

Horrrible!

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:45 AM

out of these 4

Partner: 1

contra new design/functionality : 108 ( representing 1,399,075 Points )

out of these 108

MVP: 9

MCC: 8

MCC/MVP: 6

Partner: 20

MCC/Partner: 9

MCC/Partner/MVP: 4

Partner/MVP: 3

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

• Edited by Heslacher Monday, June 24, 2013 11:14 AM EDIT
    Monday, June 24, 2013 6:03 AM
  • The new UI design does not follow Bill Gates' guidance of exciting, vibrant & interactive Windows Graphical User's Interface.

Please do revert to the old design.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect sqlusa.com
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Monday, June 24, 2013 6:32 AM Spelling
    Monday, June 24, 2013 6:28 AM

That screen shot Kalman just posted looks great.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:57 AM
  • I have a "partial" solution...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/ea0bbdc8-7a19-462e-baaa-2bb9fdf1b833/custom-css-for-firefox-and-internet-explorer

Maybe if some of the CSS gurus pick that up? But anyway - at least for me, it works ;-)

Martin

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:22 PM

The navigation is awful, taken me two days to realize that the little arrow on the top left collapses and opens the list of forums, I must have clicked on it by mistake, I didn't even know there was a forum list until a few minutes ago.

Also MVPs seem to be able to have footers on their messages, but my biography doesn't show up anymore.  This is important because you want to know what the qualifications are of the person providing the response.

The problem with this support forum is that there are too many subforums, I always thought that with the old one, which was also hard to navigate with.  Maybe it would be better not to have a central support forum for every Microsoft product and have separate ones, e.g. you go to microsoft.com/office and there is a support forum for that.

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:29 PM
  • The "Quick Access" menu has several links, including "My Profile". In "My Profile" you can click "Edit My Profile" (under your Avatar) where you can enter professional details (which appears after your name) and biography info. But the selection you may want in "Quick Access" is "My Settings" where you can specify your "Profile Signature", which will appear at the end of every post.

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:53 PM

Bob

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:37 PM
  • As in the old design the author of the last post should be clearly visible external to the thread itself.

Renee

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:50 PM
  • I agree. You know, I'm really glad that pictures of the old design are still around.

Renee

• Edited by Renee Culver Monday, June 24, 2013 6:00 PM To inform
    Monday, June 24, 2013 5:55 PM
  • -1 (Talking about the design, any replies with less than 4 characters will not be allowed. So you can't just answer with a -1 or 1. So you can't strictly reply to this question because of the design)

Flameater

• Edited by flameater Monday, June 24, 2013 6:18 PM Spelling mistake
    Monday, June 24, 2013 6:18 PM
  • The new UI design does not follow Bill Gates' guidance of exciting, vibrant & interactive Windows Graphical User's Interface.

Please do revert to the old design.

This really does represent the view that the majority of people seem to want.  This view can still be "metroized" without changing any of the actual content displayed, and without removing all distinction between content types.

I suspect that if the following two design questions were well handled, the above statement could be made true in a way that the majority of users would accept.

#1:  How long does it take to absorb the visible content of one screen (no scrolling)? 

By this I mean the amount of time it takes a user to comprehend the available threads, what status they are in (new question, discussion, proposed answer, answered, abused), who made them, when then were made, when they were last replied to and by whom, and how many replies and views they've had.  Gather some test users, show them a proposed interface, then time them and see how long it takes them to comprehend all of that information for one "screen" (visible window bounds) of results.

#2:  How far does the mouse move and how many clicks does it take to perform any given interaction?

Once the design is easy to look at and comprehend, it is then a matter of determining how much work it will take to navigate.  On this issue, the worst offenders of the current design are the loss of page numbers in the navigation bar, and the loss of the common links sidebar.  Page numbers are important for viewing forums with 1000's of threads.  And it now takes two clicks (one to open the menu and one to click the item) to navigate back to "My Threads".  The "My Forums Threads" view was also very popular and some replacement needs to be provided (such as the ability to save a custom forum selection in a cookie, or server-side to the user profile).

If the above two answers are "quickly" and "not many", for both the thread view of a forum and for the post view of a specific thread, then I really don't care what colors/icons are used or what the shape of the buttons are.  As long as I can tell at a glance what they mean (hint hint, "tell at a glance" does not mean boxes with two mildly different shades of gray for a background and the same icon overlay).

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Hi Reed. So do you speak CSS? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/ea0bbdc8-7a19-462e-baaa-2bb9fdf1b833/custom-css-for-firefox-and-internet-explorer

If we are able to find a CSS guru, we will be able to fully customize this epic failure according to our needs...

Martin

And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Well spoken, Reed

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Where is this being tallied?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, June 24, 2013 11:18 PM
  • It looks like Heslacher periodically counts manually. Last count was 4 votes for, 108 against the new design.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:06 AM
  • Check out http://userstyles.org/styles/89560/microsoft-forums-technet-msdn-answers

:-)

Martin

Restore the forum design - contribute some CSS if you can! User-defined CSS-style for the epic failure in Technet Forums

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Check out http://userstyles.org/styles/89560/microsoft-forums-technet-msdn-answers

:-)

Martin

That's awesome Martin !!!

Good to see some colours using your CSS :-)

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Livelier colors!  

Can you eliminate Votes?   Thanks.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Yes I can ;-) To be honest: I already did...

Was as simple as adding the following to the CSS:

/* remove votes in thread list */
    .threadmetricscontainer .votes { display: none !important; }
    .threadmetricscontainer { min-width: 50px !important; width: 11% !important; }

The userstyles.org download is updated.

Martin

Restore the forum design - contribute some CSS if you can!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:22 AM

out of these 4

contra new design/functionality : 112 ( representing 1,463,472 Points )

out of these 112

MCC/MVP: 7

Partner: 22

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:33 AM

out of these 4

contra new design/functionality : 112 ( representing 1,463,472 Points )

out of these 112

MCC/MVP: 7

Partner: 22

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

I would say that this new forums redesign is a complete failure at this point. A failure of quite literally epic proportions.

I want someone who actually tested this site to come forward and tell us, because I see ZERO testing was done before it was released. Did anyone test this? The look, feel, formatting, and functionality of the site is atrocious. I am also still waiting for ANYONE on the forums team to explain why this was done.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:41 PM
  • I did some updateds to make it more distinguishable... And the votes have gone :-))

Signatur: Martin

Restore the forum design - contribute some CSS if you can!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:53 PM

you used to have an overview with links to your posts on the rhs. Now you have to navigate through your account settings to get to it.

Chris

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:06 PM

and -1 one more time

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:28 PM
  • I want someone who actually tested this site to come forward and tell us, because I see ZERO testing was done before it was released. Did anyone test this? The look, feel, formatting, and functionality of the site is atrocious. I am also still waiting for ANYONE on the forums team to explain why this was done.

Yes, the site was tested. Somewhere I saw a thread where someone expressed his enthusiasm for the new design - that was a tester.

And, mind you, the searching is probably faster than before.

The design? No, I don't like it, but there were a lot of flaws with the old design - for instance the crappy posting window (oops, they kept that one). Then again, the design is much in line with VS 2012. And no, I don't like that one either. But minimalism seems to be the current fad.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:44 PM
  • If you'd like, you can update this article

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18057.personal-impressions-about-the-forums-re-design.aspx

Everybody is welcome to add their feedback to that article. I think it will serve just to vent and to tell MS what we think. It doesn't seem we ever receive an honest answer why did the forum's team kill the functional design and put so many users into misery.

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:34 AM typo
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:33 AM

UI Part is good but missing some major functionalities.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:48 AM

My most important link, My forums threads, is gone and I miss it badly.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:46 AM
  • >My most important link, My forums threads, is gone and I miss it badly.

It's under the Quick Access tab.

• Edited by Kalman Toth Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:01 AM spelling
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Kalman,

that is "My Threads" not "My Forum Threads"

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:01 AM
  • >that is "My Threads" not "My Forum Threads"

What is the difference?  Thanks.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:28 AM
  • "My Threads" are all the threads where you have posted to.

"My Forum Threads" had been all threads which belonged to your selection of "My Forums"

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:36 AM
  • >My most important link, My forums threads, is gone and I miss it badly.

It's under the Quick Access tab.

Couldn't agree more.  I find it really difficult to navigate round now I don't have a consolidated view of all the forums I've subscribed to.

Thanks, Andrew

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:03 PM

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:11 PM
  • I actually added this as a wish yesterday in this article

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx

(see somewhere close to the top) but I don't think we have a voting thread already on this.

I can create one unless it's already there.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Agree. This is a very important view. And also the 'Unread' filter is very important for me. I have 2 threads on this to vote for (if you didn't already).

Both are listed here

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx

and again, everyone is welcome to add suggestions to that article and if there are more threads to vote I didn't put, please add them. Or ideas to improve interface.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:30 PM

out of these 4

contra new design/functionality : 117 ( representing 1,533,102 Points )

out of these 117

MCC/MVP: 8

Partner: 23

MCC/Partner: 10

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:31 AM

Asgar

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:22 PM

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:33 PM

Steen Schlüter Persson (DK)

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:57 PM
    Where is what?
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:35 PM

The changes are especially difficult for Moderators. While we can now see the name of the OP and the last answerer, I still see no identification (missing "alarm bell") for threads in which I'm participating vs. those in which I'm not active.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:26 PM

The changes are especially difficult for Moderators. While we can now see the name of the OP and the last answerer, I still see no identification (missing "alarm bell") for threads in which I'm participating vs. those in which I'm not active.

It's a very subtle hint - the font style of the thread title changes from normal to italic if a thread changes you already visited before... New threads will appear as bold. I personally don't like that, too - so I tweaked around with it:

/* unanswered threads - special treatment */
    li.threadblock .threadsnippet .threadUrlInMetrics .threadmetricscontainer .metrics .threadstatus.status.unanswered { background-color: #808080 !important; }
    li.threadblock.viewed .threadsnippet .threadUrlInMetrics .threadmetricscontainer .metrics .threadstatus.status.unanswered { background-color: #FF8D70 !important; }
    li.threadblock.viewed.newposts .threadsnippet .threadUrlInMetrics .threadmetricscontainer .metrics .threadstatus.status.unanswered { background-color: #FF0000 !important; }

li.threadblock .threadsnippet .threadUrlInMetrics .threadmetricscontainer .metrics .threadstatus.status.discussion { background-color: #505050 !important; }
    li.threadblock.viewed .threadsnippet .threadUrlInMetrics .threadmetricscontainer .metrics .threadstatus.status.discussion { background-color: #A4A1ED !important; }
    li.threadblock.viewed.newposts .threadsnippet .threadUrlInMetrics .threadmetricscontainer .metrics .threadstatus.status.discussion { background-color: #0000FF !important; }

Martin

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:46 PM
  • pro new design/functionality: 4 ( representing 5,355 Points )

We now have 96 answers in this thread and 1.500 views. Not a single "+1" added. Seems these 4 either were sponsored guys or they voted before checking the functionality.

BTW: If this thread earns another 96 replies, we have to open a new one - it will take ages to load...

Martin

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Same answer as where you've posted this before:

A viewed thread doesn't mean I've participated...

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Yes, sorry I mangled things a bit... In "My Threads", no visual indication is present...

Martin

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:13 PM

The old design was mediocre and flaky.

The new design is pretentious and mediocre and flaky.

I *want* to like the new metro-styled stuff, I understand the design rules and approve of many of them, but is it *working*?  No.

Good GUI design is just a totally lost art.

Josh

ps - I've had problems with the live.com login process for years, which apparently was fixed sometime shortly before the changeover, and worked through the first weeks of the changeover - and now is broken again, though still not quite as badly.  Tomorrow?  We'll see.

Friday, June 28, 2013 6:17 AM

out of these 4

contra new design/functionality : 123 ( representing 1,645,927 Points )

out of these 123

MCC/MVP: 9

Partner: 24

MCC/Partner: 10

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Friday, June 28, 2013 6:26 AM

very bad

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:26 AM

@Microsoft staff: Please … never mark a reply as answered, if does not absolulety apply or if it is just useless troubleshooting gibberish. (I say that for a reason, because you regularly mark absolutely useless replies as answers. Sometimes a problem is hard to solve, or not ata ll, and therefor stays without answer. That is sad for everyone, but *you* must accept that fact!

Friday, June 28, 2013 12:46 PM
  • You have already voted ( i guess in the first voting thread).

I won`t count this.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Friday, June 28, 2013 12:50 PM
  • I've been using www.UniversalThread.com forum from 1999. There is only one developer for that forum. In my opinion this is the best interface for all online forums I ever visited.

These forums were OK to work with before the re-design. I believe we started to see more and more bugs since last December - I think it's the same time the Project Manager changed. I listed the existing bugs in 'Bugs and Issues' threads.

Then the forum team took that latest version (with all its newly introduced bugs), changed the interface completely to something nobody likes, brought all existing bugs, lost 2/3 of the previous functionality and made most regulars want to go away. Why is it a direction that MS is going lately?

I already found that my T-SQL forum participation now is about 5 threads a day or less. I used to do ~30 per day and I read all threads in that forum.

Moreover, today I was unable to even open that forum - I tried twice and got Server Error both times.

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Friday, June 28, 2013 3:29 PM Link?
    Friday, June 28, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Naomi,

Just a heads up, your link above is broken. It's pointing back to here.

Friday, June 28, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Thanks, I fixed it. Interestingly, in HTML view it was

<a href="www.UniversalThread.com">.. </a> and still it didn't render. I added http in front and it worked.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 28, 2013 3:30 PM
  • I already found that my T-SQL forum participation now is about 5 threads a day or less. I used to do ~30 per day and I read all threads in that forum.

Yeah, but isn't that because you spend so much time moaning in the Forums forums how bad the new design is? :-)

Well, I am certainly answering less T-SQL questions than I used to do, but that is not so much due to the new design, but because I am deprived of the bridge. (But it shall not be denied, the week has been a little busy, so that is also a factor.) And right now I am on my way out, so I'm not too keen on tackling new questions, but only monitoring old threads.

Anyway, Microsoft has made it clear that they don't care about me, because I am one of the 97 who was using the NNTP bridge. But they should get scared when Naomi says things like the above. I can testify that she used to be all over the place.

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:53 PM
  • True. In first few days I wasted a lot of time just to complain, write WiKi articles about problems, start new Voting threads, etc. But my eyes are getting tired and therefore I can not concentrate in technical forums.

I am also quite busy with work, but usually it is not a dominant factor for me.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:24 PM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 11:27 PM
  • I think this thread should be closed and another started up (if we want to keep tracking how many people vote -1, I don't think there's a +1 in this whole thread) since opening up this thread is causing my browser to hang. In all reality, I imagine we could get 1,000+ -1 votes and it wouldn't do us any good though.

I've done my best to adapt to this "upgrade", but my patience is starting to wear thin. I saw a post somewhere about another hotfix being scheduled for Monday, so hopefully things will be better next week.

EDIT: Clarification - it's only a momentary hang (5 - 10 seconds), but still... Using FF.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 11:39 PM
  • BTW, thread opens OK in Google Chrome.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:50 PM
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:35 AM
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:10 PM

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:04 PM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 12:24 PM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 12:24 PM
  • How bad is this new forum? Seriously - people are going to stop using it its so bad
    Monday, July 8, 2013 12:25 PM
  • It is I have done since 3 weeks ( I was not on holiday )

Unluckily , I am sure that it is impossible to return to the old display ( which was easier and more pleasant to use )

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:32 PM
  • I think that the discontinuation of the display of the number of unanswered threads , votes and replies is an error as it was useful at least for moderators for whom one of the most important tasks is to try to find posts seeming to provide an answer ( at least partially ) to the question from the original poster.

And I am not writing this stupid display only on a part of the screen which makes too long to read a post or to compare posts. Unless it is because it was a problem for tablets or windows phones ...

But it is useless to go on to post here as I am thinking that the architects/developers of the display of the forums don't care of the wishes of the users, answerers or moderators : they don't seem willing to listen to us.

Have a nice day

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:29 PM
  • I think that you could do more to make unanswered questions more visible.
    I believe this is another attempt at creating a spam account.  This username, their avatar image and the external link on their account all seem to be Adult content related.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:47 PM