Defrag Won't Run After SteadyState Uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• Back in January I installed SteadyState just to check it out. Well, that was my first mistake. Since then, I have uninstalled it but I think my computer was not returned to its initial state. Today, I tried to run Windows Defrag but it won't start. I went to the Event Viewer and I got this message:

Access to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrgntfs.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {d55d3005-96b0-46ed-87df-953594563816} placed on path dfrgntfs.exe

I then copied the policy rule and located it in the registry where it said under description: WSS Blocked Defrag App

I cannot get Defrag to run nor can I find where to remove this policy. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks 
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:17 PM

Answers

• JackSparrow226 said:

Back in January I installed SteadyState just to check it out. Well, that was my first mistake. Since then, I have uninstalled it but I think my computer was not returned to its initial state. Today, I tried to run Windows Defrag but it won't start. I went to the Event Viewer and I got this message:

Access to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrgntfs.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {d55d3005-96b0-46ed-87df-953594563816} placed on path dfrgntfs.exe

I then copied the policy rule and located it in the registry where it said under description: WSS Blocked Defrag App

Can anyone help?

Thanks 

Hi,

SteadyState blocks defrag apps when Windows Disk Protection is enabled because they can interfere with WDP.  When WDP is disabled, the blocks are removed.  If that didn't happen for some reason, you can remove them manually by deleting any registry keys under this path which have a value named "Description" which is set to "WSS Blocked Defrag App":

[HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths]

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:59 AM

All replies

•  

Hi JackSparrow226, you can try to remove the following registry entries to check the result:

·         Delete the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows SteadyState"

·         Delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit"

·         Delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState" (or common)

·         Delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\Windows SteadyState" (or common)

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, February 20, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Sean,
    Thanks for the reply. I was only able to locate the first HKEY and did remove it, but it didn't help. I think at this point I'm going to have to reinstall XP.

Thx
    Friday, February 20, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Check your administration tools --> local policy and see if you can find a setting in there that is preventing the defrag. Steady State changes many local policies and it may not be changing them back when uninstalled.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:24 PM
  • JackSparrow226 said:

Back in January I installed SteadyState just to check it out. Well, that was my first mistake. Since then, I have uninstalled it but I think my computer was not returned to its initial state. Today, I tried to run Windows Defrag but it won't start. I went to the Event Viewer and I got this message:

Can anyone help?

Thanks 

Hi,

SteadyState blocks defrag apps when Windows Disk Protection is enabled because they can interfere with WDP.  When WDP is disabled, the blocks are removed.  If that didn't happen for some reason, you can remove them manually by deleting any registry keys under this path which have a value named "Description" which is set to "WSS Blocked Defrag App":

[HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths]

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Rob,
    Bingo! That was it. I had like 20 something registry keys that all had description lines referring to "WSS Blocked Defrag App". I removed all these keys and I now can defrag once again.  Thanks!
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Great, glad it's back to normal!
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:59 AM
  • there is a key
    ....codeIdentifiers\0\HASH

should that be deleted also?
    thanks
    NIck
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Mr. Elmer,

...3 weeks I have been trying to fix this problem.

I live in PA; in what direction should I face when burning incense and sending prayers of gratitude?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:09 PM