locked
Global catalog not found error during installation and/or Deployment Manager RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there,

    I'm having a real problem trying to get CRM 2011 installed and operational.  On a new machine, I've logged in as a Domain Admin and have run the installation wizard and pointed to a new SQL Server where there are no existing CRM databases.  Essentially, I always get the same error of "Global catalog not found in forest".  I've tried this both in the installation wizard as well as trying to create a new organisation via Deployment Manager.  I've tried various ipconfig /flushdns and /registerdns but without any luck.  The service accounts are domain accounts and I've been able to use SETSPN via command window (using Windows Server 2008 R2) and it is able to talk to AD to list any SPNs associated, so I know the server can definitely see the AD and also the installation wizard let me navigate the OUs to get to the place where security groups are meant to be.  I've also checked to see if there is stale data in the AD.

    As far as I can tell AD is OK and perfectly visible from the CRM installation server.  Yet, this is the error that is reported every time:

     

    17:25:22|  Error| Installer Complete: OrganizationCreator - Error encountered
    17:25:22|  Error| Exception occured during Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.OrganizationCreator: Action Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.ProvisionBusinessAction failed.
    InnerException:
    Microsoft.Crm.CrmSecurityException: Could not find GUID for server ---> System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: Global catalog not found in forest "mycompany.local".
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.GlobalCatalog.FindOneInternal(DirectoryContext context, String forestName, String siteName, LocatorOptions flag)
       at Microsoft.Crm.SecurityUtils.GetGuidFromServerName(String serverName)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

    Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I can further troubleshoot this?  Is there some sort of test I can run that represents what ProvisionBusinessAction is attempting to do?

    Many thanks

    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

  • From a command prompt try running the following on both dc's

    netdiag /v

    Also DCDIAG.

    That is if you are running Win2003 DCs.

    Also run netdiag on your app server.

    Check syn times as well with w32tm commands

    If there are problems found in the netdiag scan run netdiag /fix on the DC and then


    dnslint /ad /s "ip address of your dc"

     You could get us some more information if all this does not work with:


    dnscmd ipAddressofDNSserver /info



    Curtis J Spanburgh
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:19 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Are you logged in as Domain Admin?

    Please check this thread,

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/crmdeployment/thread/f358f0e5-ace6-4dd4-951a-1d849f906840

     

    regards,


    Khaja Mohiddin
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:33 PM
  • From a command prompt try running the following on both dc's

    netdiag /v

    Also DCDIAG.

    That is if you are running Win2003 DCs.

    Also run netdiag on your app server.

    Check syn times as well with w32tm commands

    If there are problems found in the netdiag scan run netdiag /fix on the DC and then


    dnslint /ad /s "ip address of your dc"

     You could get us some more information if all this does not work with:


    dnscmd ipAddressofDNSserver /info



    Curtis J Spanburgh
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:19 AM
    Moderator
  • Having the same problem.

     

    Here is my thread on this issue (posted today):

     

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/crm/thread/aa76cc72-8a06-4388-bb4e-c2d92c13602e

     

    If you have resolution, please advise.

    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:10 AM
  • For my case, found out that one of our staff added an external DNS address on the CRM App server aside from the 2 DC server already in the DNS config. After removing the external DNS from the network properties, the creation of new organization resumes like a charm.

     

     

     


    Neil
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Yikes.  That is a truly Newbie mistake that I have seen some "Experienced" Network people do.

    More like "If it works on my home computer it should work on the server", See!!  I can get out to the internet thinking.

     

    The DNS of the AD forest is integrated with the AD schema.  For those who are STILL making this mistake, your ISP's DNS server does not have any information on your AD, so it cannot find machine and user attributes.

    Back in CRM 1.2 I had "network administrators" come to me and tell me that CRM was "Broken".   They had changed the DNS addresses because they had no concept of DNS.

    The best comment was from an "MCSE" who told me he did not want to use DNS for AD. He wanted to use WINS.

    Thus, I am still a consultant.

    Glad you got it fixed.

     


    Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:22 PM
    Moderator
  • Try this,

    Remove the Alternate DNS Server Address for TCP/IP properties on CRM Server then ipconfig /flushdns on command prompt.

    This is worked for me.

    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 4:54 PM