none
My Alerts stopped updating? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

"My Alerts" have stopped showing new alerts. I can see I have replies to threads, but the latest alert is from 2-3 days ago.

Is there a problem or are there any alert settings I can check (looks likes there is just an email address setting)?

Cheers,

Rob

Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:41 PM

Answers

• Nope, didn't do anything. The Alerts engine is a little flake, we hope the 7/14 release helps with some of this, as we have the known bug fix and some shared DLLs being updated that should improve reliability a bit.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Rob.Ford Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:07 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I just checked and things look like they are ok on the back end. But I'll dig a little deeper. Can you give me a URL of something that you expected an alert on? 
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Brent,

Here's one:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/setup/thread/17377718-5747-4a38-a781-3f1a69771660

Strangely, I got the alert ok for this thread, it looks like it's the alerts for threads I didn't start that I reply to that aren't working...

Cheers,

Rob

Friday, July 1, 2011 2:05 AM
  • I just checked and things look like they are ok on the back end. But I'll dig a little deeper. Can you give me a URL of something that you expected an alert on? 

Same problem here Brent (sorry to bother you).And it happened in the past as well when all of a sudden after a fortnight many mails flooded in ...looks like there is some isssue with the mailing functionality ..
    Abhay Chaudhary OCP 9i, MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2005 BI) ms-abhay.blogspot.com/
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:48 PM
  • After posting reply to thread, open only this thread in new windows of browser and chcek if Alerts for this thread are really set to "Alert Me" - it means that you must see "Remove Alert".
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:53 PM
  • I'm not talking about email alerts, just the "My Alerts" view. It is still not updating, except for threads that I start.

It no longer alerts me when I reply to an existing thread and someone adds a new post, so if they ask me something new, I don't see it.

The "alert me" and "remove alert" options appear to be missing...

Monday, July 4, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Rob, are you saying that if you view a thread you don't see "Alert Me" or "remove Alerts" at the top of the thread? That is bizarre, haven't had any reports of ux elements just vanishing.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 8:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Now I'm confused, I have the "alert me" button on the initial thread which takes me to the page to configure an email address for alerts.

I don't want email alerts, I just want the "my alerts" view to work.

In this thread, which I started, I have the "remove alert" option at the top and the "my alerts" view shows I am subscribed to it with the little bell icon. I get an entry in "my alerts" when people reply to this thread.

In other threads to which I've posted I don't get an entry in the "my alerts" view when someone else responds like I used to. If I click the "alert me" button at the top I am asked to enter an email address...?

Has something changed?

P.S. When I reply to a thread, the "alert me" tick box is ticked.

Monday, July 4, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi, they appear to have started working ok now, did you do something, Brent? If so, thank you :)
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Nope, didn't do anything. The Alerts engine is a little flake, we hope the 7/14 release helps with some of this, as we have the known bug fix and some shared DLLs being updated that should improve reliability a bit.
    • Marked as answer by Rob.Ford Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • ok, thanks for checking it out, Brent, let's hope the update improves things :)
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:38 PM