bad boot entry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i have install windows server 2011 in my computer, my problem is that i already have another os on an another hdd and now i absolutely got to have both hdd to run 2k11, i have made a mistake when i install win 2k11, this is what i have done wrong:

c: mean win2k11

d: mean win7

each letter are physical separate drive, no drive are partionned in two part

my motherboard have default boot at this time to d:, everything is find, booting windows 7 and play... cool

i have start with the dvdrom and choose to install 2k11 in the c: drive, don't forget that my d: was the default first boot drive for my motherboard

2k11 have finish install and working very find, but he have put him in the boot.ini entry to let me boot to each os (2k11 or win7), but this boot entry was made in the d: drive, so if i want to boot correctly i have to leave the default first boot drive to d:, the system read the boot.ini entry and boot to good os after i choose wich one i want.

If i unplug my second drive, in this example the d: drive, when i boot my computer and the system boot in the only drive i have now (the c: drive with 2k11 without boot entry) i got this error:

'no bootable partition in table'

i understand the error, i remember time ago that with the command bootcfg /rebuild that i can rebuild a boot entry for a particul drive, but its seems that the bootcfg in windows server 2011 have change and now the is no more rebuild option, so my question is this one:

did a new command exist in win2k11 to rebuild boot entry for my c: drive or how can i resolve this problem?

thanks for your reading and answer if you can :)

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi i have install windows server 2011 in my computer, my problem is that i already have another os on an another hdd and now i absolutely got to have both hdd to run 2k11, i have made a mistake when i install win 2k11, this is what i have done wrong:

c: mean win2k11

d: mean win7

each letter are physical separate drive, no drive are partionned in two part

my motherboard have default boot at this time to d:, everything is find, booting windows 7 and play... cool

i have start with the dvdrom and choose to install 2k11 in the c: drive, don't forget that my d: was the default first boot drive for my motherboard

2k11 have finish install and working very find, but he have put him in the boot.ini entry to let me boot to each os (2k11 or win7), but this boot entry was made in the d: drive, so if i want to boot correctly i have to leave the default first boot drive to d:, the system read the boot.ini entry and boot to good os after i choose wich one i want.

If i unplug my second drive, in this example the d: drive, when i boot my computer and the system boot in the only drive i have now (the c: drive with 2k11 without boot entry) i got this error:

'no bootable partition in table'

i understand the error, i remember time ago that with the command bootcfg /rebuild that i can rebuild a boot entry for a particul drive, but its seems that the bootcfg in windows server 2011 have change and now the is no more rebuild option, so my question is this one:

did a new command exist in win2k11 to rebuild boot entry for my c: drive or how can i resolve this problem?

thanks for your reading and answer if you can :) 

You might try bootrec.exe instead (I believe bootcfg was removed in Vista and newer OSes).  Check this link for info on it.  (Just be careful.  You wouldn't want to mess up your entire installation.  :)  )
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:48 AM
  • hi and thankx for your answer

thanks again for the name of the command, but that did do just the half job

i have try bootrec with all switch, all command have been made successfully, but i still cannot boot with just my c: plug, i got now this error, but dont worry my boot still work, but always with my two hdd

i receive the common error that windows suggest to put my installation dvd and choose repair, i will try that later, here now the new error message:

File:  \boot\bcd

Error:  cannot read boot data configuration file <-- this is not the exact message, but still around it

i will try some other things, reading and let you know if its work, its borring that we cannot mark an answer as helpful instead of answer here in this forum, like other one :|

if i dont find anything, i think i gonna reinstall my 2k11 with just one hard drive plugin :)

ciao

Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:18 PM